No announcement yet.

Shifter problem (1960 Champ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Shifter problem (1960 Champ)

Wondering if I can get some insight. 1960 Champ with 259, 3 speed (OD) on column. I can shift into reverse and 1st no problem but going into 2nd and 3rd is difficult and sometimes impossible. Clutch seems to hookup good, no vibration or slipping. Linkage looks fine at bottom of the column and at the transmission. I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

Interesting. Generally it is 1st and reverse that give trouble and 2nd and 3rd that work well.

Have you adjusted the shift linkage per the shop manual?

Basically, you:
    - disconnect both rods at the transmission
    -set the column shifter in true neutral position (there is a tool to hold it there)
    -set the transmission arms in true neutral position
    -adjust the shift rods to just slide into the rubber grommets on the transmission arms without having to move the arms

Make sure the motor mounts and the grommets in the transmission shift arms are good and have no slop. Make sure that collar that holds the shift lever to the steering column is not worn out and has good rubber.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

When you try to put it into 2nd or 3rd, does is grind, or simply not slip into place as if something is disconnected?

Comment

It slids in nicely. Good info so far. Thanks and keep it coming.

Comment

Working...
        X