The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Those of you who know me are aware of my struggles with Bess. For those of you who don't, Bess is a '56 Parkview Wagon I purchased on e-bay. She had been sitting under a shed for twenty years waiting for a new driver. Getting the old girl going has been an interesting persuit.

The latest in the Bess chronicles occured last week when the transmission failed. I was completely flummoxed. My current financial status resembles a Maidenform bra. IE: no visible form of support...[:I] Many moons ago, I brought home the second of my Daytona twins. In the passenger footwell was an overdrive transmission. I started a thread on this to determine if the tranny was compatible with my '62 Champ and what it originally was for. Well, the answer is; a '56 Parkview wagon (possibly other years, I wouldn't know). I verified the numbers on the case with the '56 service manual I have. Is that fate or what? Here the replacement was supplied before I even bought the car, let alone had the need for it.

The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Upon removal of the cover a disappointing discovery was found. Rust upon rust upon rust and bone dry. EEEEK![:0] George however, calmly suggested that I use Marvel oil and some kind of gear oil additive he had. He pointed out that a manual transmission was more tolerant of this kind of thing. They worked like a charm. Now all I have to do is come up with the proper 80wt mineral oil and change oil. Once I remove the current oil and rust, I'd like to replace with the proper stuff. The OverDrive even works! I've driven the car for a few days now and it has given me almost no trouble.

Dodged that bullet!

Oh, the old tranny's problem? The syncronizer for third had broken, thereby jamming the car in second. Well, at least I was able to get it home. I think a rebuild on the old tranny is in order. It was a good one otherwise.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Clunk, do you have a tractor supply co type store near you??
    I used a GL1 oil labeled for older Ford tractors. IIRC it was 80wt.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Clunk, do you have a tractor supply co type store near you??
      I used a GL1 oil labeled for older Ford tractors. IIRC it was 80wt.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28

59 Lark
      etc

Comment

Hi Studeclunk,

I am so happy to hear you have old Bess rolling!!

Cabrina Dieters
        1950 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Hi Studeclunk,

I am so happy to hear you have old Bess rolling!!

Cabrina Dieters
          1950 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Duracell or Timex. Old Bess just keeps on ticking. Glad to here God has smiled on you.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Duracell or Timex. Old Bess just keeps on ticking. Glad to here God has smiled on you.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Working...
              X