Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitewall Paint - revised

All:

It looks like there is finally an alternative to grinding down the black sidewall of a tire to reveal the white underneath.

www.mbzponton.org <<<- sorry, incomplete address

This product appears to be pretty good judging by the pictures - has anyone tried it?

I believe that Radial tires are much better than the Bias tires that they relaced.

Paul R

EXCEPT that, they no longer have "sidewalls"! If the radial has no "rub rail" shoulder to paint to, it would be difficult at best to get a sharp edged, "round" whitewall!

Remember the side walls are very weak only 2 ply. and flex a lot, so paint may not stay on!

Back in 1967 I had the only Radial available in America, the Michelin "X" a skinny little thing used on Renault and Poujough (whatever- French word) that came in 6.70 X 15 tubed type radial imported from France on my '63 Wagonaire when I bought it from the original owner.

I put "narrow" white wall port-a-walls on it because they were black & didn't come in whitewalls, well in a couple thousand miles they were getting deep groves in the sidewalls from the fake whitewalls rubbing on the flexing sidewalls! NOT a good idea! I replaced them with Allstate Guardsman fiberglass belted bias-ply dual stripe whitewalls G78X15...WOW, cool!

quote:Originally posted by 55s

All:I believe that Radial tires are much better than the Bias tires that they relaced.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

EXCEPT that, they no longer have "sidewalls"! If the radial has no "rub rail" shoulder to paint to, it would be difficult at best to get a sharp edged, "round" whitewall!

Remember the side walls are very weak only 2 ply. and flex a lot, so paint may not stay on!

Back in 1967 I had the only Radial available in America, the Michelin "X" a skinny little thing used on Renault and Poujough (whatever- French word) that came in 6.70 X 15 tubed type radial imported from France on my '63 Wagonaire when I bought it from the original owner.

I put "narrow" white wall port-a-walls on it because they were black & didn't come in whitewalls, well in a couple thousand miles they were getting deep groves in the sidewalls from the fake whitewalls rubbing on the flexing sidewalls! NOT a good idea! I replaced them with Allstate Guardsman fiberglass belted bias-ply dual stripe whitewalls G78X15...WOW, cool!

quote:Originally posted by 55s

All:I believe that Radial tires are much better than the Bias tires that they relaced.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I didn't see what you are referring to on the link provided.
        There is nothing new about painted on whitewalls. I regularly used a rubberized whitewall tire paint in the 1950s. It looked and lasted pretty good.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I didn't see what you are referring to on the link provided.
          There is nothing new about painted on whitewalls. I regularly used a rubberized whitewall tire paint in the 1950s. It looked and lasted pretty good.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Are you sure that was the only size available then? My neighbor up the road ordered a brand new, fully loaded Ford LTD 4 door hardtop, complete with radials in 1967. One of the first things she showed me on her brand new car were the radial tires on it as they were a bit of curiousity at the time. They definitley weren't that narrow. And it seems to me, you could a brand new 1964 Studebaker with Michelin radials![:0] Only the 20" tires on the heavy trucks!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Are you sure that was the only size available then? My neighbor up the road ordered a brand new, fully loaded Ford LTD 4 door hardtop, complete with radials in 1967. One of the first things she showed me on her brand new car were the radial tires on it as they were a bit of curiousity at the time. They definitley weren't that narrow. And it seems to me, you could a brand new 1964 Studebaker with Michelin radials![:0] Only the 20" tires on the heavy trucks!

Craig

Comment

Agree w/Studegary, Nothing in link about white wall paint.
                Painted white walls on my '36 Ford back in '46. Curb feelers were a must or you would be recoating the scuffed up tire.

Comment

Agree w/Studegary, Nothing in link about white wall paint.
                  Painted white walls on my '36 Ford back in '46. Curb feelers were a must or you would be recoating the scuffed up tire.

Comment

I had radial Michelins on my 1966 Dodge Charger. They were so unusual then that people used to stop me to tell me that I had a tire going down. They sure were a lot better than the typical tires that came on new cars in the mid-'60s that had two plies and lasted me about five months (15K miles).

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I had radial Michelins on my 1966 Dodge Charger. They were so unusual then that people used to stop me to tell me that I had a tire going down. They sure were a lot better than the typical tires that came on new cars in the mid-'60s that had two plies and lasted me about five months (15K miles).

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had radial Michelins on my 1966 Dodge Charger. They were so unusual then that people used to stop me to tell me that I had a tire going down.
                        I remember those days! My dad had radials on his new 69 LTD 4-door hardtop. (gee, remember the days when they'd make a 2 door coupe, 4-door sedan, 4-door hartop, wagon and convertible of the same model?)

Also, back in those days, they'd squeal going around corners at speed.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had radial Michelins on my 1966 Dodge Charger. They were so unusual then that people used to stop me to tell me that I had a tire going down.
                          I remember those days! My dad had radials on his new 69 LTD 4-door hardtop. (gee, remember the days when they'd make a 2 door coupe, 4-door sedan, 4-door hartop, wagon and convertible of the same model?)

Also, back in those days, they'd squeal going around corners at speed.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Actually factory mounted radials did not come out until 1976, my New Plymouth Volare Premiere Wagon had the "NEW" Goodyear "Radials" that I special ordered as an option when I special ordered the car. The were very experimental, wandered all over the Los Angeles freeways and when you stopped they "bounced" I don't mean hopped, just squished up & down after fully stopping! They later figured out that the rain groves were not compatible with the tread grove width and were recalled and replaced to those that kept them and complained, I dumped the car, since in other posts, I told you how it's quality was so poor it started "falling apart" the week I bought it!

These prior to 1976 radials were Car or Tire Dealer installed.

Also I did not say the Michelins were not available in larger sizes, just that mine were large enough to fit a Stude. and never seen in So. Calif. except in small sizes on small imports and never factory installed on U.S. cars.

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Are you sure that was the only size available then? My neighbor up the road ordered a brand new, fully loaded Ford LTD 4 door hardtop, complete with radials in 1967.
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually factory mounted radials did not come out until 1976, my New Plymouth Volare Premiere Wagon had the "NEW" Goodyear "Radials" that I special ordered as an option when I special ordered the car. The were very experimental, wandered all over the Los Angeles freeways and when you stopped they "bounced" I don't mean hopped, just squished up & down after fully stopping! They later figured out that the rain groves were not compatible with the tread grove width and were recalled and replaced to those that kept them and complained, I dumped the car, since in other posts, I told you how it's quality was so poor it started "falling apart" the week I bought it!

These prior to 1976 radials were Car or Tire Dealer installed.

Also I did not say the Michelins were not available in larger sizes, just that mine were large enough to fit a Stude. and never seen in So. Calif. except in small sizes on small imports and never factory installed on U.S. cars.

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Are you sure that was the only size available then? My neighbor up the road ordered a brand new, fully loaded Ford LTD 4 door hardtop, complete with radials in 1967.
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X