Wheel color(s) for 48?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel color(s) for 48?

I got an old issue of Turning Wheels (Dec 81) off ebay that has a special write up about the 48 models.
    There was a "test drive" of a 48 Champion that was painted tulip cream (pale yellow) and it said it had "interestingly, peacock green wheels".
    My car is/was peacock green. Would it have had the tulip cream wheels? The build sheet didn't say.
    Or maybe I don't know how to read it...
    When it was repainted years ago, the painter did the wheels in peacock green as well.
    Just wondering if that was "correct".

Mine is Holiday Red (Burgundy). When I was doing mine, I bead blasted the wheels. Over the years, the wheels had been painted (probably rattle can) different shades of red, and some black. When I got down to the original paint, I found the original layer was body color along with two neat off-white pin stripes. I repainted the wheels body color. I did not attempt the pin stripes.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There is a book that Studebaker published that listed all the wheel colors that went with the body colors from 47-52. Very few wheels were painted body color. Maybe someone has copied a page from this book and can chime in.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        There is a book that Studebaker published that listed all the wheel colors that went with the body colors from 47-52. Very few wheels were painted body color. Maybe someone has copied a page from this book and can chime in.
        It was reprinted in the November, 1979 Turning Wheels, if I remember right.

Craig

Comment

Great. Just found one on ebay for $7.
          Got it.
          Thanks.

Comment

John, this is what I did on my 32 Ford hot rod wheels.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	001-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1691353
            Click image for larger version

Name:	002-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1691354

I used one of those Bugler striping pens. I'd picked up the kit at a yard sale years ago. I had to make a holder to fit my magnetic base (I'm a machinist by trade) and stuck it to a heavy steel plate.
            Once I set it up, I just rotate the wheel that is mounted on the front axle.
            I have another pair of Studebaker wheels that look to be the tulip cream and they have a double stripe.
            One wide and one thinner. They are so faded though, I'm not sure what the stripe color was.
            Maybe peacock green?

Comment

Yeah, I had thought about doing something very similar. However, after thinking about it, by the time the small wheel covers and beauty rings were installed, those tiny pin stripes just didn't seem to be that important to me. That was back when I was into the trophy thing. A couple of best of show trophies, and a bunch of first place trophies, has confirmed that the little pin stripes were not worth the trouble and angst about keeping them clean. Now I rarely enter the car for judging. For me, it has been more fun that way.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Per the 11 / 79 TW reprint, for a Peacock Green body the wheels are Tusk Ivory with Peacock Green outer and inner strips.
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Mine is Holiday Red (Burgundy). When I was doing mine, I bead blasted the wheels. Over the years, the wheels had been painted (probably rattle can) different shades of red, and some black. When I got down to the original paint, I found the original layer was body color along with two neat off-white pin stripes. I repainted the wheels body color. I did not attempt the pin stripes.
                  The '47 Commander five-passenger coupe I sold on eBay a few years ago was a dark maroon (original paint) and the wheels were the same color and had the pin striping John noted in Post #2.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My black '48 Champion (not the one in my sig. line) has original wheels with red paint and maybe ivory pinstripes.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks guys. I have that issue of Turning Wheels on the way, but it didn't make it here yesterday.
                      Tomorrow, I guess.
                      I have three wheels from my parts car that appear to be a cream color with faded green (possibly peacock green) stripes.
                      I think that would look good.

Comment

Working...
                      X