PDA

View Full Version : Over priced Hawk with interesting commentary

Dan White
07-15-2014, 04:07 PM
I guess there must have been a lot of Hawks gone up in smoke recently from the way this description reads? Nice looking Hawk but looks to be a no frills model that has been cleaned up well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Gran-Turismo-Hawk-Museum-Quality-Investment-Studebaker-81-000-Certified-Original-Miles-/171382359966?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e72f479e&item=171382359966&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

sochocki
07-15-2014, 04:14 PM
If this car is as nice as it looks, what's a fair asking price??

Commander Eddie
07-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I do remember hearing recently about a fire in a warehouse that contained a bunch of Studebakers and other parts and memorabilia. I thought I saw it here on the forum but cannot find it. Maybe someone else here will be able to find the reference. There was also a building with some classic cars including an Avanti recently destroyed by a tornado.
As the years go be we loose more and more of these great cars. One can only wonder how many will have survived one hundred years from now. It's sad.

I saw this E-Bay listing over the weekend and was impressed with the quality of the car as well as the photography. This was obviously shot in a "tent" meaning surrounded by white reflective studio cloth. That is the proper way to light a vehicle and this was well done. If this is truly a near museum quality restoration it may well find a buyer at that price.

EssexExport
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Certainly in near pristine condition. One would question the claim of 250 hp. At least back up that claim.

candbstudebakers
07-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Bare bones 62 GT with JC Whitney seat covers, and a 4 speed auto trans, low, neutral, reverse, and drive yap that is 4 something or other, and wonder where it picked up the other 25 HP, nothing about condition of under side, if as nice as it looks in pictures maybe $15,000 maybe but not by me. knock, knock, knock the big dollar sellers, you know the special interest places that say they can get you the world when they don't even know what they are selling.

PackardV8
07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
With so few made and the recent loss of a multiple Studebaker collections due to fire, this investment grade car is looking towards upward investment movement as time moves forward. We know the copywriter did not major in English, economics or logic.

jack vines

Jefscoupe
07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Four speed automatic???
Seriously?

8E45E
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I do remember hearing recently about a fire in a warehouse that contained a bunch of Studebakers and other parts and memorabilia. I thought I saw it here on the forum but cannot find it.

That was this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68927-Merged-Horrible-news!-50-Studebakers-among-items-destroyed-in-Chesnee-fire&highlight=volvo+fire

Craig

DEEPNHOCK
07-15-2014, 07:23 PM
I hope it sells for a bunch.
Great pic's.

jlmccuan
07-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Four speed automatic???
Seriously?

Reverse is a speed too, lol.

swvalcon
07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
jlmccuan. Take a VW bug and swap the trans axle shafts side to side and you have 4 speeds in reverse and one forward.

jimmijim8
07-16-2014, 08:03 AM
I gree wiff ya Jeff. GT Hawks are long overdue the recognition they deserve in dollars and cents terms.. cheers, and I have one. jimmijim
I hope it sells for a bunch.
Great pic's.

allstateguy
07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
I hope it sells for near the asking price too . . . as long as the buyer is FULLY AWARE of what he is or isn't getting. The expectation level set by the ad may give a delivery result that isn't quite there.

Scott
07-16-2014, 11:46 AM
I think it could sell for that, but I hope not. I want another Hawk someday and it's not going to help if every driveable example brings over $10K. It's already bad enough.

Bill Pressler
07-16-2014, 12:07 PM
I like the color. I'd almost immediately need to paint the wheels off-white though--that always just jumps out at me, even behind full wheelcovers!

Plus, there is a GT Hawk dash I like even less than one without a tach--one without a tach OR clock! They should've just made both standard equipment. I believe a clock was made standard in later GT's.

JBOYLE
07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Drop whatever you're doing, go out and make sure your garage is not on fire!

Did the recent fire consume 50-60% of the world's GTs?
If not, the writer is living in fantasyland.

gordr
07-16-2014, 01:06 PM
A nice example of a plain-Jane GT, with a whole lot of puffery from a dealer who is not a Studebaker expert. And that trunk mat looks horrible. Somebody needs to take a heat gun, and soften it and press it down so it conforms with the trunk floor. Or park it out in the sunshine with the trunk open for a day.

StudeRich
07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
I have forgotten which models were in our SDC Member's Family garage fire, but I would be surprised if there was even ONE '62 GT Hawk. Not affecting the value of same one bit if it was. :ohmy:

UPDATE: after seeing Craig's Post with the prior Ad for this Car, I have to say that someone has gone to great lengths to properly (and then some) promote this very nice Car. This older Ad is even way better than the current one!

If it were a full dash, 4 Speed Car with a Original Color, the first Ad would quite possibly have sold it at 16,000, but of course now at almost 24,000 and a Automatic with no Clock or Tach, not likely.

8E45E
07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
This car has been making the rounds:

http://stjohnmotorcars.com/1962studebaker.php

Craig

sochocki
07-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Maybe they were thinking about GMs dual range hydramatic which was a 4 speed auto.
;)

Dan White
07-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Wasn't "Thunderbolt" the name used on the '65/'66 283 GM V8s?

I just don't like trying to convince people that a fire that burned some Studes is a reason to get into Studebakers. Yes it is a nice looking car and does appear to be well done, and I hope he gets what he wants but if the current market is any indication it is not going to happen. Even R1's in decent shape don't usually go this high.

StudeRich
07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Wasn't "Thunderbolt" the name used on the '65/'66 283 GM V8s?/Cut/

Yes it was, but it was also used on '64 289's just a bit more unofficially, in Brochures not Decals.

Corvanti
07-16-2014, 04:42 PM
all i had to see was his "low" feedback percentage (for ebay) to know i need not look further.:rolleyes:

07-16-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm not getting involved in the value discussion. Let the transaction prices confirm or debunk the armchair quarterbacks. However, the fire the seller may be referring to could have been the February 2013 RMG Foundry in Mishawaka. I know many Studes, other collector cars, boats and RV's were stored inside the plant that closed in 2006. It used to be the Phelps-Dodge Foundry. Demolition of the shell is just now getting underway, and has been delayed as insurance companies have searched for a cause and parties liable for the huge loss. I called on RMG selling heavy equipment, before the closure. The plant was very large.

I haven't been as active as I once was in local activities, due to economic conditions and family concerns most recently, but I do know a significant number of classic cars were lost in the fire. I am not close to anyone who suffered a loss, though:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/multimedia/photos/collection_eaf0cb0f-0d3c-59c7-bdbb-3b0dc6192aba.html#ad-image-20

07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Here's a story with more detail on the fire aftermath and the quote that "hundreds" of cars were destroyed in the fire. Sorry, no exact count of Hawks, or even Studes for that matter:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/it-could-be-a-while-before-the-old-damaged-rmg-foundry-is-demolished/23620868

WayneXG95
07-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Aren't these the guys that had a white 64 GT Hawk for sale a while back? That dash just don't look right.