1963 vs 1966 wagonaire help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 vs 1966 wagonaire help me decide

I bought a 63 Daytona Wagonaire a few months ago. It needs a fair amount of work, rust in tailgate, windshield, interior, brakes, seized 259 etc. I now have an opportunity to buy a 1966 Wagonaire with a 283 auto, runner driver and would require about 8k$ less than the 63 to get into nice shape. I know the 66 is much more rare than the 63, however, I don't think is necessarily more valuable. I like the looks of both cars, each year has styling merits. Cant make up my mind, help me figure out which girl to take to the prom.

If it were me I'd go with the 66. I like that style sheet metal better than the 63 but then that's just my personal preference. The Chevy engine makes parts for that at least cheaper & an easy fix.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Based on what you have told us, I'd go with the 66, hands down. Pass the 63 on to someone else, and use the money on the 66.

Comment

We built a fine Wagonaire in Canada. No doubt in my mind your choice is the 66.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I think the '66 is a more handsome unit & perhaps less potential of rust. The sliding roof '63 Wagonaire was a nightmare for sealing from water leaks from new.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
            I think the '66 is a more handsome unit & perhaps less potential of rust. The sliding roof '63 Wagonaire was a nightmare for sealing from water leaks from new.
            66 also had a sliding roof, my choice is the 66, had 63's 64's 65's but never a 66 I like the 66 grille the best and the interior style, dash, and 283 with easy change to 327, 350,400, all good engines.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

My choice would be the 66 provided it has the sliding roof. Now then, I would also add the 64-65 grill. They are much more handsome than the 66. Plus they have more of the 60s look to them. I also like the plusher interior of the 66.
              sals54

Comment

63' ..... having owned both.

Comment

I'd go with the '66 also. As Sals54 stated stick a single headlight '64/5 grille in it. The front end goes with the boxy rear better than a '63. My '64 leaked for the first time at the Dover meet after those t'storms blew through. New seals as well as fixing the drain hoses did the trick. One should also check that the windows are up all the way. Ask me how I know!
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

My personal preference is the '66. Add for condition and I'd definitely take the '66.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                      We built a fine Wagonaire in Canada. No doubt in my mind your choice is the 66.

Stu Chapman
                      I guess it's best to "Ask the man that Built one"

Comment

I prefer the 1963, but based on the condition difference of the two cars, I would go with the 1966.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting. I can't imagine looking at both and not having a preference towards one or the other, they definitely have different appearances! I guess that can be said in credit of you.

Personal preference, as well as your vehicle condition description, unless you have a desire to wrench and rebuild, all things else being equal, go with the '66. Personal preference also, I like the '66 grille a lot, the dual headlight Lark fronts the least.

Comment

I think you should go with the. '63 and sell me the. ' 66 (g)
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Perhaps I should not assume that you know that 11,915 wagons were built for 1963 and only 940 wagons were built for 1966.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X