PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: 61 Lark Carb Mixture Screw.

drnittler
07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
For the 61 Lark, six cylinder automatic, how many turns or partial turns out should the carb mixture screw be? ie How to I adjust the carb? Thanks

Warren Webb
07-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I personally bottom out the screw, then 1.5 turns out, start the engine & adjust accordingly.

Mike Van Veghten
07-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Just like any other carburetor.
A little more detail than above -

"Lightly" bottom the mixture screw, open it to 1-1/2 to 2 turns.
Start the engine. Make sure/wait till the engine is up to operating temperature.
Slowly turn the screw "in" until the engine starts to miss/run rough.
Turn the screw out until it runs smoothly.

It's a good idea to do this a coupla times.
It's also a good idea to turn the screw "out", 1/4 to 1/2 turns farther. This helps with acceleration and cold starts.

For the best results, do this same "adjustment" with the transmission in drive.
Have someone hold the brake, don't touch the gas pedal, and complete the "adjustment" again. Lightly rev the engine once or twice, do the adjustment again.

Why in gear..? Because who cares how it idles out of gear, in the driveway. You care the most while sitting at a stop light. You want a nice smooth idle and good acceleration when the light turns green..!

Mike

jackb
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
.........and remember : once you have your final setting..... turn out 1/4 turn, then tighten back to final setting to "set" the lock spring...

drnittler
07-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks one and all

jackb
07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
.....can we assume that your "bad" gas experience has passed and that the carb is a new issue ? or is there more..

drnittler
07-15-2014, 06:46 AM
I am wondering because the plugs were a bit "carbony."