'49 Champion won't start after running great for fifteen miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: '49 Champion won't start after running great for fifteen miles

Another question here for my B-I-L, who's comparatively recent to Studes (well, at least in being reintroduced to them!):

He drove his '49 Champion convertible about fifteen miles in hot (mid-eighties) weather today, on an up-and-down hilly road, with no sputtering of any kind, and decided to go to a favorite local place for lunch. He said that upon stopping and getting out of the car, he was pleased to note no 'hot' smell nor gas smell. An hour later, and the car would crank strongly, but would not start. He knows the restaurant's owners and they helped him push the car into the garage out back. Another half hour, and still no start.

He called me at this point to ask if I'd put an electric fuel pump on my old Lark (R1) to avoid vapor lock. A friend put it on for hire for me because the car was always hard to start after sitting several days. That car did die on me once while driving in hot weather--the fuel pump just crapped out.

He figures his Champion either experienced vapor lock, or it might need a new fuel pump. He says fuel lines under the hood have an aluminum-foil-looking coating (probably asbestos underneath! LOL) over them.

Does anybody have any experience with a Champion flathead six and vapor lock? Would an electric fuel pump help in this circumstance?

He said he was just feeling really good about the car up until this point today. Haven't we all been there?

Thanks for the basic questions, I know!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I don't have any experience with them but they do require a metal shield over the fuel pump to help prevent such a problem. An electric fuel pump isn't a bad idea anyway since they had this problem before ethanol gas came into existence. Just make sure it has a emergency cut off switch in case of an accident.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Also check for a plugged fuel line from tank rust, it can produce some strange symptoms such as running out of fuel after a few minutes even tho there's fuel in the tank.

Comment

A couple of simple basic tests, pour about one ounce of fuel down the carb, if it fires and dies there is a fuel problem. Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine (place fuel line in a container) and remove coil wire. If no fuel possible fuel pump or pin hole in fuel line from tank to pump. Remove the fuel line from the tank and blow air in the line (gently with your mouth) and check for any pin holes in the fuel line by spraying soapy water on the fuel line particularly at the clasps and look for bubbles. Lastly check the fuel pump itself by removing the pump and fit a short line to the inlet and put it in a jar of solvent and hand pump the fuel pump if the pump is good it will shoot the solvent at least 6 feet, best of luck David

Comment

Woooo--- your starting with an answer and trying to prove it. Back up and isolate the problem.

Fuel or spark ?
          ? put small amount of gas or squirt starting fluid in the carburetor and test fire
          Yes, Fuel
          Work backwards from the carb to the tank with above tests, most likely suspects plugged line or pump
          No, Spark
          Check for loose wires distributor/coil etc. Work from plugs to ignition testing for current.

Comment

I had this problem on my 47 Champion several years back and it turned out to be the starter!. After spending time diagnosing the problem and replacing several components, I replaced the starter and the problem never occurred again.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks all--I've forwarded this link to him for his review.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
              X