Brake rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake rebuild

My son and I are attempting our first brake rebuild on his 57 C cab pickup. Everything has gone well until we tried to get the right rear brake drum back on. No matter how we tried to adjust the shoes the drum just won't slip on. Is there a "trick" we are missing? Please give us some help.

Is there a 'lip' on the lip of the brake shoe surface on the drum?
    Did you have the drum 'trued'?
    Are your linings 'std', or 'oversize'?
    'Oversize' linings ate just thicker friction material, intended to be used on drums that have beeb 'turned' and have a larger ID than stock.
    Remember that there is an .060" max diameter increase allowed by law on brake drum turning.
    I am sure others will chime in with some other things to look at.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree there may be a lip on the drum. You can also take a tape measure and measure from shoe to shoe and then measure the drum to see how far off you are.

Comment

Don't make my mistake. I had the return spring hooked to the wrong hole on the brake shoe, with the result that the shoes weren't pulled tight enough together. Luckily, I took a picture before I removed the old shoes and realized my mistake. Went on just fine after that.

Comment

Try loosening up your emergency brake cable,

Originally posted by richt View Post
          My son and I are attempting our first brake rebuild on his 57 C cab pickup. Everything has gone well until we tried to get the right rear brake drum back on. No matter how we tried to adjust the shoes the drum just won't slip on. Is there a "trick" we are missing? Please give us some help.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments. I think we just lost confidence that we were not doing harm. With a little more adjustment we got it on and the brakes are working great.

Comment

Nice to hear the brakes are FINALLY finished!
              1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
              1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

Working...
              X