Rex Miltenberger's 41 Commander Coupe Featured in Sept Classic Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex Miltenberger's 41 Commander Coupe Featured in Sept Classic Car

I was pleasantly surprised to find and article about Rex Miltenberger's 41 Commander Coupe in the Sept issue of Classic Car yesterday. The feature article covers some of the very interesting history of the engine, the rarity of the car, and Rex's ownership. Worth picking up if you don't already subscribe.

Excellent car from a superb magazine (and not just because our resident Palma writes for them...). Is this the car in question? Just my humble opinion, but this is one of the best designs Studebaker or anyone came up with - simply beautiful from any angle...

Comment

Miltenberger's last name was never mentioned in the article.
      How can we be sure that the photo (in the "owner's view" portion) isn't just a look-a-like they are trying to pass off on the unsuspecting public.
      Or has it progressed to the point like Elvis, Frank and Oprah that only a first name is used?
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Great article. Hemming's is certainly providing excellent support to Studebaker.

Stu Chapman

Comment

A few years ago Hemmings Classic Car also did an article on my 29 President. http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...feature15.html
          They were not interested in my 31 roadster.. Quinn says that's because their so common that everyone has one of those. Maybe the next one that is almost finished will be of interest. A 35 president roadster. I would post a photo but don't know how.

Comment

Rex: Resend the photo to my "home" e-mail and I will be able to post it for you. I think most forum members would like to see it (the black convertible coupe, right?) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Rex has some great Studebakers.... color me green with envy.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I provided the author a good deal of information for the article including the photo of the Gilmore Economy Run at the bottom of page 29. I thought he should have provided information on the Skyway Sedan Coupe which was another trim level (F7) that did not have the stainless side trim (color belt). For the record there were 2350 Custom Sedan Coupes (like Rex's) and 2845 Skyway or a total of 5195. At the bottom of page 31 it mentions a total of 133,900 production for '41 but this approximates all production including Champion, Commander and President which was not made clear. Also the 2350 number for the Custom "Club Coupes" (a term never used by Studebaker that consistently referred to them as Sedan Coupes) and states that this number was from the time of intro in mid 1941 "until civilian production ended in early 1942." No mention of the Skyway and incorrect re the production dates which was actually March thru July 31. 1941. New '42 models started in the second week of August 1941 and also included a Sedan Coupe body. Another error appears in the spec section where it states the cars had tubular shocks, they did not, they had Houdaille lever shocks. In any event nice to see Studebaker pre-war coverage.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                  Miltenberger's last name was never mentioned in the article.
                  How can we be sure that the photo (in the "owner's view" portion) isn't just a look-a-like they are trying to pass off on the unsuspecting public.
                  Or has it progressed to the point like Elvis, Frank and Oprah that only a first name is used?
                  Actually, Dale, it's in the text at the bottom of column two, Page 28. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Actually, Dale, it's in the text at the bottom of column two, Page 28. BP
                    Not in my copy. That's my story. I'm pleading the fifth.
                    Unfortunately, my issue was destroyed with my hard drive failure.
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                      Not in my copy. That's my story. I'm pleading the fifth.
                      Unfortunately, my issue was destroyed with my hard drive failure.
                      Well, there is a lot of that going around, Dale. BP

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        I provided the author a good deal of information for the article including the photo of the Gilmore Economy Run at the bottom of page 29. I thought he should have provided information on the Skyway Sedan Coupe which was another trim level (F7) that did not have the stainless side trim (color belt). For the record there were 2350 Custom Sedan Coupes (like Rex's) and 2845 Skyway or a total of 5195. At the bottom of page 31 it mentions a total of 133,900 production for '41 but this approximates all production including Champion, Commander and President which was not made Iclear. Also the 2350 number for the Custom "Club Coupes" (a term never used by Studebaker that consistently referred to them as Sedan Coupes) and states that this number was from the time of intro in mid 1941 "until civilian production ended in early 1942." No mention of the Skyway and incorrect re the production dates which was actually March thru July 31. 1941. New '42 models started in the second week of August 1941 and also included a Sedan Coupe body. Another error appears in the spec section where it states the cars had tubular shocks, they did not, they had Houdaille lever shocks. In any event nice to see Studebaker pre-war coverage.
                        I'm not saying nut en. If we point out all the inaccuracies in their articles they will be gun shy of any Studebaker stories.

Comment

Here's the photo of Rex's '35 under construction ('near done, apparently) as he referenced in Post #5:

NICE car, Rex. BP

Comment

Is that a 34 front bumper on a 35?
                            Last edited by studefan; 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                              That looks like a 34 front bumper on a 35.
                              Not even close to a 34 which has a vee. It is a 35 president only bumper. NOS and not even replated.

Comment

Working...
                              X