Red Bud Trail, south of Buchanan, MI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bud Trail, south of Buchanan, MI?

I know I'm way out in left field here, but in the 70's there was a group of guys restoring/modifying Studies in the back barn at our family farm on Red Bud Trail South.

Any members familiar with what I'm talking about?

After catching sight of the Studies rolling in and out of our place, I guess I got bit and now have a '57 3E6 Transtar I'm restoring. What's 40 years, anyways?

Here's a pic of the farm if it jogs any memories.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_dadsfarm0146-001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1744298

Are you refering to the Bakerstown garage? Jim specialized in Studes

Comment

No, I started driving back in 75, so the guys were there for several years before and after that. I knew Jim before I moved out west in 78, dad sold the farm and moved into Bucktown about a year ago!

Comment

I've been on Red Bud Trail many times in the late 70s and early 80s driving between South Bend and St. Joseph MI. I never remember seeing any Studebakers through there.

Mark L
        Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
          I've been on Red Bud Trail many times in the late 70s and early 80s driving between South Bend and St. Joseph MI. I never remember seeing any Studebakers through there.Mark L
          Same for me. I used S. Red Bud Trail when I was headed for Bendix in the late 60's. Every AM I picked up Dixie Cream donuts in Buchanan for the lab. The only person of which I was aware of with a Studebaker interest was Jim. Might have been a few Studies at Falo's Junkyard.
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The only place that comes to mind would be Bakertown Garage which was on Bakertown Road, a little north of 12 and west of Redbud Trail. It was run by Jim McClellan who was a vendor at the South Bend meets do years.
            R2Andrea

Comment

Our farm was between Buffalo and Bertrand, 2285 to be exact, about 1 mile south of highway 12. No signs or car parts viewable from Red Bud, the guys were in what we always called "The Studebaker Building" back in the trees behind the main barn. They had about 6 active ones in the shop, plus 5-6 outside. Lots of late night stereos and cocktails going on back there, I think that's why dad kicked 'em out. That or the fact I had bought a Yamaha Trials (TY175) and the guys dared me, a 13 year old punk, to ride it over an old Corvair. Damn near killed myself.

Comment

Buchanan

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                I know I'm way out in left field here, but in the 70's there was a group of guys restoring/modifying Studies in the back barn at our family farm on Red Bud Trail South.

Any members familiar with what I'm talking about?

After catching sight of the Studies rolling in and out of our place, I guess I got bit and now have a '57 3E6 Transtar I'm restoring. What's 40 years, anyways?

Here's a pic of the farm if it jogs any memories.[ATTACH=CONFIG]36188[/ATTACH]
                This looks like John Dales place?? I lived in Bucktown until the late 60s.
                RQA040

Comment

We lived in the area from 65-88. We bought fresh produce from the Vite family on South Red Bud Trail. http://www.southbendfarmersmarket.com/vendors/stall/3 The Vite family still has a presence there and probably could provide info on the local history along the Trail and any Studebaker-related activity.

On Saturday I watched the Red Bud Lucas National motocross event on national TV. It is on Red Bud Trail N. (not related)
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X