Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My formative years in a 1953 Studebaker Starlite..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My formative years in a 1953 Studebaker Starlite..

I experienced beauty, ownership, a paycheck, sex(yes), love, racing, the heavy hand of th' law, agony of a mechanical blow up(many), wing ding milk shakes, steak burgers, moon discs, friends who turn their backs, 10 to 0ne compression and 6 volts!!

I'm now retired and comfy because of what this wonderful contraption got me into.. I've been truly blessed!!

Thank you, thank you, poor ole Studebaker, wherever you are!!

Sincerely,

Bennie D. Barfield

P.S. If I could find you , I'd put my arms around you and never let you go..

Good story Ben. And here is a personal invite to come to Hazlehurst July 19 to our South Ga Chapter homecoming. It's our 21st Birthday.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
      I experienced beauty, ownership, a paycheck, sex(yes), love, racing, the heavy hand of th' law, agony of a mechanical blow up(many), wing ding milk shakes, steak burgers, moon discs, friends who turn their backs, 10 to 0ne compression and 6 volts!!

I'm now retired and comfy because of what this wonderful contraption got me into.. I've been truly blessed!!

Thank you, thank you, poor ole Studebaker, wherever you are!!

Sincerely,

Bennie D. Barfield

P.S. If I could find you , I'd put my arms around you and never let you go..
      Just about the story of my life too, Bennie. We are probably about the same age. Glade you made it!

Except for me it wasn't 10 to one compression; it was a GMC blower pulling through a Stude WCFB and later a McCulloch set-up off of a '57 Golden Hawk and a converted top-loader floor shift off an old Ford pick-up. I no longer have that '53, but saved many parts off of it that are now on my subsequent '53. Love those '53 Stude hardtops.

Don

Comment

Ben; That story reminded me of my 53K and the run ins I had with the law. There was a large flat area on top of the highest hill around and you could see almost all of the San Fernando Valley. The owner was looking for some big bucks for it, since the For Sale sign had been there a long time. Was sitting with my Girl friend looking at the City lights, when there was a loud rap on the pass. side window. There was a cop rapping his flash light against the window. He asked what are you doing here? I said just necking Officer. He said " Put your neck back in your pants and move on, the cable company bought this land and dosen't want any tresspassers."

Comment

My first 53 was in 1959-1962. It was a Champion C body. Didn't have money to do the V/8 and such. (I wanted to). Managed to lower, add Chrysler wires, paint anniversary gold, along with nose and deck. Even with the cutout open, long straightaway, it would only manage just above 80. It did get great gas mileage and was dependable. Had many memories formed in this car. The one, I probably remember most was: my girlfriend getting mad with me, at the drive in, and busting the dash instruments out with a high heel. I left in a rush and forgot to take the speaker off the door glass. It broke the glass, BUT, the speaker stayed with the car. Still have it today. LOL

Comment

Hi Bennie. What mechanical blowups did you suffer with a '53? I ask because I'm the rather proud owner of one and want to get to know its quirks better.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by handworn View Post
              Hi Bennie. What mechanical blowups did you suffer with a '53? I ask because I'm the rather proud owner of one and want to get to know its quirks better.

Thanks!
              A 331 Caddie was added with a 1/8" overbore, J E 10 1/2 compression pistons, hot cam, solid lifters, a BIG Buick 4 barrel carb, a 1937 LaSalle transmission and a 6 volt system.. A teenage driver!!

Comment

Ah-- I thought you meant a different meaning of blowups.

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                A 331 Caddie was added with a 1/8" overbore, J E 10 1/2 compression pistons, hot cam, solid lifters, a BIG Buick 4 barrel carb, a 1937 LaSalle transmission and a 6 volt system.. A teenage driver!!

Comment

Had mine in '55. 10:1 comp, twin carbs, cam, duals, top loader trans from Stude truck with OD. Quick, but probably wouldn,t keep up with my present one. BTW, drove that one on my honeymoon with the same girl 57 years later. Pic posted 09/12/2011 Page 8 of pictures.

Bob
                  Last edited by BeeJay; 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM.
                  Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

I have owned many 1953-1954 C and K models over the years, starting in 1964.
                    The coupe that you refer to is a Starlight (not "Starlite").
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                      My first 53 was in 1959-1962. It was a Champion C body. Didn't have money to do the V/8 and such. (I wanted to). Managed to lower, add Chrysler wires, paint anniversary gold, along with nose and deck. Even with the cutout open, long straightaway, it would only manage just above 80. It did get great gas mileage and was dependable. Had many memories formed in this car. The one, I probably remember most was: my girlfriend getting mad with me, at the drive in, and busting the dash instruments out with a high heel. I left in a rush and forgot to take the speaker off the door glass. It broke the glass, BUT, the speaker stayed with the car. Still have it today. LOL
                      Flashback; Love this story!!!
                      sigpic
                      Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X