Chrome plated parts notice to new owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plated parts notice to new owners

I came across this little one card size notice in side of a 1953 commander owners manual about how to take care of you new car chrome with the nickle underplating being substantially reduced and on some parts being entirely discontinued, ( some call it war time chrome or Korean chrome) it goes on to tell the new owners how to take care of their so call chrome plated parts. Has other seen this before and I am just behind in seeing it if any one would like a copy of it let me know and I will see what I can do, it will be going with the manual along with the new title of the 53 I sold and shipped to PA a few months ago.

Last edited by candbstudebakers; 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    I came across this little one card size notice in side of a 1953 commander owners manual about how to take care of you new car chrome with the nickle underplating being substantially reduced and on some parts being entirely discontinued, ( some call it war time chrome or Koren chrome) it goes on to tell the new owners how to take care of their so call chrome plated parts. Has other seen this before and I am just behind in seeing it if any one would like a copy of it let me know and I will see what I can do, it will be going with the manual along with the new title of the 53 I sold and shipped to PA a few months ago.

Hello,

I don't believe I have seen one and would appreciate a copy. Some things like these are getting harder to find since the originals are either discarded or are hiding on someone's shelf waiting to be listed on eBay....or otherwise discarded by a unfamiliar relative during the estate sale
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Neat. Too late for my chrome (lol), but good to see.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have had one in my collection of 1953 items for many decades. Mine came from the original owner of a 1953 Commander Starliner that I purchased from that original owner. This is confusing, but I did not receive the paper items related to the car until after I restored the car and showed it to the original owners. I knew that car since it was new as the original owners were family friends.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some one with a good original should have a professional quality reprint done. I am sure many 53 owners would buy one. Well, anyway I would.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Nice find!
            Some of this was mandated by the government during the Korean war.
            Nickel, copper, chromium were all harder to come buy during that time frame.
            Google 'Korean War Chrome' for some other info (I know, I know...it was a police action)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I would love to have a copy. PM me if you get a chance. Thanks.

Rich

Comment

Very Kool indeed! I would certainly appreciate a digital copy as well. PM of to my email.
                Live your dreams!

Comment

I would like a copy. Tell me what to do. Thanks, Tex

Comment

Would we see something like this today? Dear customer, your car has inferior chrome installed...good luck.

Comment

I didn't realize that nickel was a restricted strategic material. I thought that it was the chromium itself that was in limited supply.
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

I think the best I could do is get a self address stamped envelope from anyone wanting one or more and I can make a or copies and mail them back, the copy would be better than me trying to get something good over the internet, if interested just send it to me , Bob Peterson at 5294 Canyon Hill Ct. Castro Valley, Ca. 94546. don't wait to long as soon as the new title gets here the manual and this little item will go to PA.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

I had one of those for my 53 Caddy I believe. It had good original chrome which was the weak stuff. One day I took it through a "soft cloth" carwash and the felt fingers wiped off some of the chrome.

Yikes!
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I reproduced the card (below) for a friend back in Nov 1912. Another item I did at the same time was a salesman's "pocket packet" with data on the new cars that includes all measurements comparing the 1952 and '53 cars. It also has a full page on the new Power Steering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1691286Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1691287Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1691288
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

1912 Dick???? Now we are finally figuring out how old you really are!!!
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X