1939 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Commander?

I was at a friends barb-b-q last week and there was a 1939 Commander sitting in the field behind the neighbours place. Having just bought the place, the new owner did not know what the story was on it. Tracking down the 90 year old previous owner I bought the car for a little more than scrap. The car seems to be complete minus the engine. The trans is in pieces in the trunk along with the original rims and tires. I towed it home yesterday and found the serial # 9AW-3 11605 on a plate on the passenger firewall. I am a diesel mechanic by trade but have always loved anything old. I have restored a few cars and know that this is a good solid car to devote some time too. The fenders, trunk lid, hood and doors are in decent shape. The rockers, floors and trunk need to be replaced. Does anyone know what year it actually is? Can you get steel pans from somewhere? None of my suppliers are any help. There is a 6 cyl engine and trans on kijiji (Im from Hamilton Ontario Canada) that I think will bolt right in and I am waiting to hear from him. Any information on Commanders would be helpful. Thanks! -Rich

A 9A W3 is a 1939 Commander 4 door Cruising Sedan. Of the 43753 Commanders built in the 1939 model year 35189 were of this body style. There are no body panels being reproduced for this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	commander 4dr copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1691227
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I believe you will find the Serial Number Plate on the Drivers door post. You have as Richard said, the Body Type and sequential BODY Number built, 11605 only. Not the Car Serial Number.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Barrie. There are two SDC chapters close by (Hamilton and Ontario chapters) and there are plenty of parts available for that car. It's a handsome car and would be a great driver. Let us know what you need and I bet you'll find it close to home. Cheers.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

great find!!! and welcome...

let's see some pics.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I have all manner of stuff for it.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks guys! I just took a good look at it today. I pulled the seats and floor mats out, along with all the parts that were previously removed. The drivers floor should be replaced but the trunk is completely gone. I need an entire trunk pan. Underneath looks incredible for the year. I don't think the frame needs any welding and the passenger and back seat floor is still shiny. All the spring pins took grease and all the doors open and windows roll up and down. I love the heated front seat with the heater core underneath. I think someone boosted it with a 12 v with a negative ground because the wiring to the regulator on the firewall is burnt along with a wire that I assumed led to the generator. The speedo cable is seized and the trunk latch is missing the actual handle. I found some spare parts including a round speedo head and an entire gauge set that I don't believe belong to this car but are definitely from a Studebaker. The floors and trunk are the first things I would like to take care of. Is there another model or year or even a different make that would have a similar floor and trunk that I could make fit? I would still like a stamped sheet for strength and the look of originality. Thanks

Comment

It will probably take someone with a Shear, a Brake an English Wheel and some fabrication skills to make those parts.
                Not impossible, just costly.

I don't think anything but the common years of Stude. floor pans would help.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm pretty sure my trunk floor in my parts commander is solid, though the floor is not.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

It's not that difficult to fabricate, using a brake like Rich suggested. We had to fabricate the hog troughs for my hard top. Time to show up at some meets and find a car to use as a template. Some members may have good pictures you can use as a reference. Unless you're going for a high point restoration, you should weld the metal in and fix the floors and trunk before trying to lift the body off the frame (but you probably know that).
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Richard , welcome to the forum ....neat car find for sure. You definitely should join the local Studebaker club in Hamilton , we have our monthly meetings at the War Plane Museum , just not in the summer months though but starting in Oct they are the 3rd sunday of the month at 10 am.
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yes I would love to come to some meetings. I have seen your truck at the Dunnville show 2R5. I am from Dunnville as well. I have a blue 68 firebird with white racing stripes. If you see me, say hello. Thanks to everyone for your input. Im looking forward to this build.

Comment

So I have been busy but need some help. I found an engine thanks to some referrals from the guys at the wreckers in town. They led me to a wonderful Gent down the road from me who loves the old Studes. I bought a disassembled flat head 6 from him that was machined and ready to be re-assembled but never made it. It came in pieces in the back of an m5 that that his son just bought. It is bored .030" over and comes with new matching pistons. The crank has been machined .010 and it comes with a full gasket kit and a new cam. The only things missing are the underside bearings and the oversize pistons. I need to know what I bought though. The serial number is 1203731. I need to know the year and size of the engine and where to get the missing parts from. I do think it is from a car and not a truck as it has a shorter throw crank and larger main bearings than a truck engine. I am still missing a transmission as well. As much as I want to keep it as original as possible I think I would like a 4 or 5 speed in it. Are there any transmissions that will bolt up? The trunk is cut out along with the drivers floor and a body shop in town is making a match for them this week. My interior lady in town is looking into flooring and a headliner and is ready to put the seats together in the fall. I will also contact my glass guy this week and get him lined up. I don't want to do anything to the outside yet as we are planning to take some family photos with it in its current patina this fall. Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Contact Jerry Kurtz in Dover, PA for fine rebuilt transmissions; normally 3-speed with overdrive.
                            (717) 308-1800
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Believe the engine number you provide is a casting number (raised numerals). You need to look for numbers that are stamped into the block. That will tell us the year and model.
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X