PDA

View Full Version : Later Larks & GT Hawks with 2-tone paint....?

jackb
07-06-2014, 10:37 AM
And yet another question for some historians: I've seen more non-factory 2 toned Larks & GT Hawks at this year's meet than before. We have 1 member who 2 toned his '62 4 dr. Can anyone comment on why the deviation from stock ? Throw-over from the 50's ??

BobPalma
07-06-2014, 11:46 AM
:) Personal preference, it is safe to assume.

I did see a 2-tone 1959 Lark 4-door in Tahiti Coral with white roof...that's the same combination shown in the early 1959 Lark brochures, probably prepared when they were still considering two-tone paint options. I wonder if that specific car left South Bend so painted?

Naturally, and it was a good idea, to discontinue that to keep the production lines running at top speed producing new Larks, since demand proved to be so good. :D BP

JoeHall
07-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I have always thought two tones, or two colors look better on Hawks, Larks and Studes in general. Sometimes, it can make the car more drive able, i.e. white roof on a black car with A/C, since the Stude OEM AC needs all the help it can get.

Then too, some folks just don't worry about deviating from stock, or being judged. Driving to & from the meet in comfort and style are more important, with the real "judges" being the millions of folks who will see them on the road.

Just one person's answer.

rockinhawk
07-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I have painted a couple of Lark roofs white to help make it cooler inside plus I like the way it looks.But then, I build my cars to suit ME. Not judges.

StudeRich
07-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I too was shocked to see so many otherwise Original Hawks and a few Larks all done in the "upper/Lower" kind of Two Tone which just looks Wrong on a Car that never came that way and is almost "Original".

But as Bob P. said it is "personal preference" to some people, their Car, their choice, if they want to devalue it.

The ones with just the roof Two Toned, do not look as bad.

36075 This is a very nice '59 on eBay right now, that actually has a Vinyl top.

RadioRoy
07-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I've rarely if ever seen a two tone on a Lark type that I liked, other than just the top.

Swifster
07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Could also be influenced by cars in the late 1970's and early 1980's. There were a lot of two cars at that time.