speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: speedo cable

I must try this again, as I had no response the last time. I'm a big guy and can't see completely, the back of my speedo. After verifying that I purchased the correct speedo cable, I followed it from the trans to a tube on the firewall. I unscrewed the cap at this tube a found the core continued into the tube. The core of my assembly is only long enough to reach the ends of the casing. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 59 Silver Hawk 6cyl 3spd w/OD.

Originally posted by linderfelkins View Post
    I must try this again, as I had no response the last time. I'm a big guy and can't see completely, the back of my speedo. After verifying that I purchased the correct speedo cable, I followed it from the trans to a tube on the firewall. I unscrewed the cap at this tube a found the core continued into the tube. The core of my assembly is only long enough to reach the ends of the casing. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 59 Silver Hawk 6cyl 3spd w/OD.
    Sorry you did not get a response last time. Most local parts stores sell a universal core kit that is a one size fits all, very long, and cut to length. The kit includes an adapter to crimp onto the cut off end, and comes with instructions. These kits are as good any, and last just as long.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm not sure what your cable removal issue actually is. But, the cable itself typically just pulls out of the housing after you unscrew the end of the housing from the back of the speedo. Enough of the cable will protrude to grasp the flat and pull the whole thing out. Even if pretty well lubed, it may or may not easily come out depending on condition and bends or crimps in the housing along the way. I've seen old cables that work to some degree and the housing looks to be beat half to death. If the cable is broken, of course, you have to pull the bottom piece of it from the tranny connector.

If the cable won't come out from the speedo, often there is a severe bend or two somewhere along the way. Sometimes it can help to take loose the tranny connector, too, in order to lessen any bends near that area. In fact, some factory installs have tight bends and some vendors (such as Corvette Central) sell a nifty 90-degee geared-elbow to completely eliminate such bends (and, the device also has a zerk for greasing, as well, if you like that particular type cable lube). Sixties Vettes often had such a bend at either the tranny and/or at the distributor for cable-driven tachs.

Btw, if the cable is so dry and corroded you cannot get it out of the housing for that reason, it probably hasn't worked for ages, anyway, and you may as well just start over with all new parts and move on. Just, my nickel's worth... hope it helps.

Comment

The threaded tube I speak of is at the firewall in the engine compartment. That is where the upper end of the cable housing is connected. Once unscrewed, the core continues up the tube and I assume to the back of the speedo, but don't get how it connects there.

Comment

The threaded tube I speak of is at the firewall in the engine compartment. That is where the upper end of the cable housing is connected. Once unscrewed, the core continues up the tube and I assume to the back of the speedo, but don't get how it connects there.
          That sounds like the emergency brake cable if it is on the firewall, as stated above the speedo cable connects to the back of the speedo under the dash.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The state of Washington is full of Studebakers and owners.
            Anyone there that can help you?
            Do you belong to a chapter?

Comment

if you've traced your shaft & core from the tranny to the back of your speedo and don't have enough length, you either have the wrong part, or, just as likely you have installed and coursed it wrong along the way....

Comment

I'm with Milt, I think you are describing the hand brake, not the speedometer cable.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yep, as others have noted, you have described the emergency brake cable (replaced mine a while back). Look for a similar looking cable that simply passes through the firewall. That will be the speedo cable.

edit: not to be confused with the OD cable that also runs through the firewall.
                  Last edited by BShaw; 07-06-2014, 08:07 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Thanks bezhawk and BShaw! You were absolutely correct. I feel kinda dumb, but who would think about an ebrake cable with a screw on cap! Never seen that one before. I've been in auto parts sales for 37 years and learn something everyday. Thanks again for the free education. I'll be sure to pass that one on! You've both made my day!!!!!

Comment

!!! Bingo !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X