63 Champ Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Champ Help

Hopefully all you knowledgeable people can help me out a bit. I am in search of some, any, background info about my truck. It is a 63 stude champ, model number 8E5-122 Serial number E5-136528. My grandfather bought it off an old farmer who had it stored in his garage. It was stipped of everything and my grandfather has spent two years on the restoration. He got about 80% finished and became ill so he has passed it on to me to finish. I am just looking to get some info about it and its history . Any info would be great.
    I am also looking for any newspaper articles, magazine articles, manuals, things like that about the champ. Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Also why I am asking ?'s I asked a ? a couple months ago about the tranny. The champ only will go about 50 mph. How could I tell if there is a govern on it if so copuld I remove it. The only thing I can find on the pumpkin is the us pats number and 44-1. Thanks all

Comment

Also why I am asking ?'s I asked a ? a couple months ago about the tranny. The champ only will go about 50 mph. How could I tell if there is a govern on it if so copuld I remove it. The only thing I can find on the pumpkin is the us pats number and 44-1. Thanks all

Comment

Order a build sheet from the Studebaker Museum and the February 1987 issue of Turning Wheels has a large feature article on Champ Trucks.

Comment

Order a build sheet from the Studebaker Museum and the February 1987 issue of Turning Wheels has a large feature article on Champ Trucks.

Comment

Does anyone have the feb 87 issue of turning wheels I could purchase off them. I looked on the back issues sheet and that on is no longer available. Thanks

Comment

Does anyone have the feb 87 issue of turning wheels I could purchase off them. I looked on the back issues sheet and that on is no longer available. Thanks

Comment

Jeremy, there's no governor on that engine. IF there was, it would be mounted between the carb and the manifold. We've already discussed this in some detail and the consensus was/is, that you have a 6cylinder truck that doesn't have overdrive and probably has very low gears in the rear. Assuming that IS the case, you're not gonna get any more MPH out of this truck. Period.
                It's an old farmer's truck. Likely they asked for a truck to be used around the farm and not something to go for a sunday cruise in. We're talkin' 43 years ago. The roads and the pace of life wasn't anything like today.
                I can't remember now, what tranny your truck has, but I do remember discussing whether or not it had overdrive. It very well COULD BE that it doesn't have overdrive OR it does have overdrive that isn't functional or you're not familiar with. But the speed limitation you describe sounds JUST LIKE I'd expect a low-geared, non-overdrive equipped 6 cylinder Stude truck to operate.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jeremy, there's no governor on that engine. IF there was, it would be mounted between the carb and the manifold. We've already discussed this in some detail and the consensus was/is, that you have a 6cylinder truck that doesn't have overdrive and probably has very low gears in the rear. Assuming that IS the case, you're not gonna get any more MPH out of this truck. Period.
                  It's an old farmer's truck. Likely they asked for a truck to be used around the farm and not something to go for a sunday cruise in. We're talkin' 43 years ago. The roads and the pace of life wasn't anything like today.
                  I can't remember now, what tranny your truck has, but I do remember discussing whether or not it had overdrive. It very well COULD BE that it doesn't have overdrive OR it does have overdrive that isn't functional or you're not familiar with. But the speed limitation you describe sounds JUST LIKE I'd expect a low-geared, non-overdrive equipped 6 cylinder Stude truck to operate.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

thanks for the info on the trans. Just thought there might be something more to it, but thats ok. the stamp I found on the trans is 44-1 then there are us patent numbers. Thank you for all the help. Anything is everything for me, researching this is nit as easy as I thought ans you guys are the most knowledgeable I have found.

Comment

thanks for the info on the trans. Just thought there might be something more to it, but thats ok. the stamp I found on the trans is 44-1 then there are us patent numbers. Thank you for all the help. Anything is everything for me, researching this is nit as easy as I thought ans you guys are the most knowledgeable I have found.

Comment

if it had over drive what would I look for. There is no handle on the inside except for the parking brake

Comment

if it had over drive what would I look for. There is no handle on the inside except for the parking brake

Comment

ok so here I found the info on the trann it is 47-11 then 4.27 below that.

Comment

ok so here I found the info on the trann it is 47-11 then 4.27 below that.

Comment

Working...
                              X