Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door latches,what will replace what ? (UPDATE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door latches,what will replace what ? (UPDATE)

After having problems with the door latch on my 63 Champ,I compared some early latches.I ended up using a latch for 53 - 55 Sedans,with one minor change it's good to go! for those who would rather just say it won't work,never say never "with Studebaker"
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Joseph, what was the minor change? Thanks.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Howard,the 53-55 sedan latch has a square block peened in place where the inside door handle remote rod connects.removed it with a die grinder,and the hole is exactly the same as the later latch uses.the only difference is the portion of the latch that rides on top of the striker,it doesn't have the hooded metal hovering over it as the later latches.I guess that was a new safety feature ?,but fully functions the same.if I were concerned about judging factory correct then I would hold out for the right part #,it's nice to discover parts that'll fill in.
      Originally posted by brngarage View Post
      Joseph, what was the minor change? Thanks.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

i hate to bring up old posts but im working on a 62 champ and i was wondering if all lark and champ assembly will work or what the differences are between years

Comment

Corey, it'll work "and maybe 5 or 10 minutes of mods and good to go" or it'll be exact with no messing needed.
          Originally posted by STUDEMAC View Post
          i hate to bring up old posts but im working on a 62 champ and i was wondering if all lark and champ assembly will work or what the differences are between years
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

any idea what i will have to modify. i have a latch from a 59 lark that i need to use for my 62 champ so i can close the door again.

Comment

You shouldn't have to do any thing with Yours,a Champ is just a 59 Lark up front.but if You see a little square block peened on for the inner door handle remote rod connection that could be the change.that was the change I made to My 53-55 sedan latch,I don't know if 59 has that square block ? the hole that the block is peened in is the hole the remote rod goes in.
              Originally posted by STUDEMAC View Post
              any idea what i will have to modify. i have a latch from a 59 lark that i need to use for my 62 champ so i can close the door again.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
              X