Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After at 40 years the Speedster started !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After at 40 years the Speedster started !!!

Last evening after at 40 years the Speedster started !!!

Well it may not have actually been 40 years but the last plate on the car was 1968 and it may have had a few stickers after that. I had cleaned up the old heads and given them a good visual but hadn't had them professionally checked out. Once I made sure I had enough fuel in the tank to color the clear plastic filter in the engine compartment and by-passed the relay I had installed to protect the Pentronix if the switch was on but the engine not, It fired right up.

The good news is that it fired with good oil pressure. The bad news is the left head appears to be cracked. The good news is that I had a parts car to raid this AM and this PM got the heads to an old time Cylinder Head shop to get hardened seats and a good check up. That gives me a week to work on some of the other incompletes before the heads come home.

So many little things to do before the last shipment from Rene.

Looking forward to photos of the assembled car. Maybe now you are done politicin' you can get to the important stuff!!!

Comment

Good for you. First time I started mine I hadn't hooked up the exhaust, yet. 'twas a thrill.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

In the 1980s I bought a 56J that had been sitting 20+ years. With a hot battery, filed points, and gas it fired right up. But in less than five minutes it did more damage to itself that all 90,000 miles prior. The pitted cylinder walls cracked the rings, and bearings stuck to the crank and cam in spots, came off in large flakes, and spun around damaging the crank. Since then, I won't even consider firing up an engine that has sat that long without prior dis-assembly and inspection.

Most any motor will fire up, if it has gas and spark, but that does not mean all is well. I have heard brags of using a wooden block, large hammer and solvent to un-stick pistons, then firing the motor up and advertising it as "runs great".

If you are planning on actually driving the car, I highly recommend dis-assembly, inspection and repair before driving it farther than walking distance from home.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=mmagic;854140].... I had cleaned up the old heads and given them a good visual but hadn't had them professionally checked out..../QUOTE]

Well...aside from lacking some of the specialized tools and supplies needed in the daily routine of automotive machine shops...where you gonna find a more professionally qualified person than the one who owns, spends the money, invests the time, passion, and has the manuals...than the very brain behind your eyes?

Don't underestimate your status in this process. Someone here on the forum has stated that "ANY" good mechanic should be competent to repair/service a Studebaker engine. I agree. But, we, who concentrate on the brand, know the tendencies, quirks, and features that require attention. We may not have the diplomas, certificates, or manufacturers endorsements...but, we should be confident that our experience counts for something.

I have a '55 President Coupe (unrestored and not started), the fact that you have one of those rare Speedsters, and are working on it, probably goes a long way to making you A "professional" when it comes to Speedsters. We will cheer you on and look forward to pictures.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Since then, I won't even consider firing up an engine that has sat that long without prior dis-assembly and inspection. If you are planning on actually driving the car, I highly recommend dis-assembly, inspection and repair before driving it farther than walking distance from home.
            Agree... That I did. Cleaned and inspected. Bearings looked good, tight etc. Changed seals. Valves weren't too bad but I cleaned and did a bench lap job on them.. had hardened valve seats... everything confirmed it had been opened not too many miles back. just missed that hairline crack under the temp sensor.

Comment

Working...
            X