Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers Over My House

So there I was (five minutes ago..)
    Setting at my desk doing corporate stuff...
    Outside I hear this sound...
    The sound is growing..
    What few hairs I have left stood right on end...
    I fumble for my camera bag and ran out on the deck outside my office (B&T Center, F.R.O.G., Bonus Room...whatever the room over my garage is called)..
    I looked up to see the most beautiful sounding sight...
    A purring B-17 heading toward Savannah at about 3,000 feet...
    As I am fidgeting with the camera, waiting for it to boot up, all the while staring (gawking is more the term) up at this bird....
    Then it passes behind the big Pecan tree south of my office...
    Alas... No picture...
    But that sound... Four R-1820-97 Wright Cyclone's..
    And you could hear the low tone for 4 or 5 minutes afterwards..
    Jeff[8D]

Deep-N-Hock Acres
    Brooklet, Georgia
    DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
    Mysterious Project Z
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

You just reminded me of comments made by a American imprisoned in Manila on PBS's "The War" as they heard planes overhead. He said he heard planes overhead just as he heard many times before, but "these sounded different then the Japanese planes, deeper, stronger, somehow American sounding" It got to be such a popular pastime to look up at the US planes that the Japanese banned the practice.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $58,185.77
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 Scotsman
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You just reminded me of comments made by a American imprisoned in Manila on PBS's "The War" as they heard planes overhead. He said he heard planes overhead just as he heard many times before, but "these sounded different then the Japanese planes, deeper, stronger, somehow American sounding" It got to be such a popular pastime to look up at the US planes that the Japanese banned the practice.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date
      $58,185.77
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Lark 2 door
      59 Scotsman
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

There's nothing like that sound is there? Someday I'll get up in one for a ride. Interesting thing happened to me a year or so ago. I had a dream I was part of a B17 crew. The bomber in my dream was called Scarlett O'Hara. The dream was vivid. So vivid that when I woke up I went online and did some research. Turns out there was a real B17 called Scarlett O'Hara that went down on a bombing run to take out a rubber plant in Germany. Spoooky!
        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

There's nothing like that sound is there? Someday I'll get up in one for a ride. Interesting thing happened to me a year or so ago. I had a dream I was part of a B17 crew. The bomber in my dream was called Scarlett O'Hara. The dream was vivid. So vivid that when I woke up I went online and did some research. Turns out there was a real B17 called Scarlett O'Hara that went down on a bombing run to take out a rubber plant in Germany. Spoooky!
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Jeff,

I think it was coming from our area airport just north of Atlanta. They were having a show and fly around on Friday. It came over my house several times during the day. Unfourtunatly my wife had the camera in her car..so much for pictures. I did get to here it and you're right, there's no other sound like it. I think the tickets for the fly around were $65. Not sure though. Would have been neat.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Jeff,

I think it was coming from our area airport just north of Atlanta. They were having a show and fly around on Friday. It came over my house several times during the day. Unfourtunatly my wife had the camera in her car..so much for pictures. I did get to here it and you're right, there's no other sound like it. I think the tickets for the fly around were $65. Not sure though. Would have been neat.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

It's always a treat to see and hear these old war flyers when they appear overhead. Once a year there's a B-17 that resides at the Visalia airport for a week. During it's stay here they give rides ($450 a pop!) and allow folks to walk all around the thing between flights.
                My ears are SO attuned to all airplanes and I'll hear that 17 coming before it's ever visible. I always run out to catch a glimpse when I hear the trobbing of those four radials. I never get tired of seeing it in flight!
                When I first came to California, there were still a couple of B-17s being used as fire bombers. They had the company of a number of Lockheed P2Vs, some converted DC-6 airliners, a number of Grumman S2Fs and some old C-130s ("A" models). Now the 17s have all been retired. What I see most are S2Fs and P2Vs that have been converted to turboprop engines. Those and a number of helicopters. They get the job done, but it sure isn't the same from an old plane lovers point of view (or hearing!).
                Speaking to JDPs comments, I've had the rare privlege of hearing a REAL *** Zero in flight. I'm sure it has to do with the way the exhausts are configured on them, but I liken the sound to that of a John Deere tractor on steriods. A very ratchety exhaust sound that stands out against the smooth-sounding engines of US fighters of that era.[]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's always a treat to see and hear these old war flyers when they appear overhead. Once a year there's a B-17 that resides at the Visalia airport for a week. During it's stay here they give rides ($450 a pop!) and allow folks to walk all around the thing between flights.
                  My ears are SO attuned to all airplanes and I'll hear that 17 coming before it's ever visible. I always run out to catch a glimpse when I hear the trobbing of those four radials. I never get tired of seeing it in flight!
                  When I first came to California, there were still a couple of B-17s being used as fire bombers. They had the company of a number of Lockheed P2Vs, some converted DC-6 airliners, a number of Grumman S2Fs and some old C-130s ("A" models). Now the 17s have all been retired. What I see most are S2Fs and P2Vs that have been converted to turboprop engines. Those and a number of helicopters. They get the job done, but it sure isn't the same from an old plane lovers point of view (or hearing!).
                  Speaking to JDPs comments, I've had the rare privlege of hearing a REAL *** Zero in flight. I'm sure it has to do with the way the exhausts are configured on them, but I liken the sound to that of a John Deere tractor on steriods. A very ratchety exhaust sound that stands out against the smooth-sounding engines of US fighters of that era.[]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A few weeks ago both Ellen and I were outside and we heard what we believed was a B-17. It came and went every 90 min. Then late that afternoon we heard it again, and this time it was coming directly for the house. We moved out from inside the garage and there it was, about 1500 AGL over the driveway and then went straight behind the house makeing a climing right turn.

We both were upset. Normally there is tremendous PR before the arrival of one of these at Westchester County Airport. Somebody goofed, as there were no signs anywhere. Very few people showed up and while they had enough to do the paying flights, the community had no idea it was around.

That Monday it showed up on Long Island to celebrate all the Rosie the Riveters and then it got press coverage. They gathered as many of Gruman and Republic's women they could find and gave them a ride.

Comment

A few weeks ago both Ellen and I were outside and we heard what we believed was a B-17. It came and went every 90 min. Then late that afternoon we heard it again, and this time it was coming directly for the house. We moved out from inside the garage and there it was, about 1500 AGL over the driveway and then went straight behind the house makeing a climing right turn.

We both were upset. Normally there is tremendous PR before the arrival of one of these at Westchester County Airport. Somebody goofed, as there were no signs anywhere. Very few people showed up and while they had enough to do the paying flights, the community had no idea it was around.

That Monday it showed up on Long Island to celebrate all the Rosie the Riveters and then it got press coverage. They gathered as many of Gruman and Republic's women they could find and gave them a ride.

Comment

Go to the following web site for more information about the B-17 tours and costs.
                        The Collings Foundation is a non-profit educational foundation devoted to supporting living history events to encourage learning by participation. Flying a fleet of ...

I check this site every few months to see if I can schedule my travels with their tour schedule. My brother and I came close to going to Kansas City last summer but other thing came up.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Go to the following web site for more information about the B-17 tours and costs.
                          The Collings Foundation is a non-profit educational foundation devoted to supporting living history events to encourage learning by participation. Flying a fleet of ...

I check this site every few months to see if I can schedule my travels with their tour schedule. My brother and I came close to going to Kansas City last summer but other thing came up.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

I rode a B17 (Sentimental Journey, I seem to remember) and a Ford trimotor at the Oskosh EAA flyinn 30-some-odd years ago. I don't remember the price but I will never forget the rides or the experience of the Oskosh flyin. My dad was a WWII Navy pilot and, after a few beers, could tell stories you wouldn't believe. He loved those old warbirds and passed that love along to me.

Jeff

Comment

I rode a B17 (Sentimental Journey, I seem to remember) and a Ford trimotor at the Oskosh EAA flyinn 30-some-odd years ago. I don't remember the price but I will never forget the rides or the experience of the Oskosh flyin. My dad was a WWII Navy pilot and, after a few beers, could tell stories you wouldn't believe. He loved those old warbirds and passed that love along to me.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X