PDA

View Full Version : Russel Erskine

roadster dave
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
July 1, 1933 marks the death of Albert Russel Erskine. Many of you know the circumstances under which he died. Now I know that there are some real scholars out there,so be kind....But did you know............ His first business venture was selling apples to passengers at the R.R. depot in Huntsville, Al. Then he got a job as an office boy and then moved up to book keeper.....His favorite game was golf.... He and his parents lived in a nice home on Franklin St. in Huntsville. On the 2nd story there are 8 blue window panes visible form the street. Local historians say they are supposed to prevent or cure arthritis. His grand father was an M.D. in practice with a Dr. Fearn. They are credited with being the first to use sulphate of quinine to treat fevers. He came from hardy stock. In Sept. 1799 in now W.V she and her husband and children were moving to Kentucky and were attacked by Indians. She was the only survivor and taken captive and given to an old Chief, White Bark. A trader by the name of Higgins tried to buy her freedom several times But old White Bark said no. white Bark died an the son sold her to Higgins for $200. She was captive for 3 years. She later re-married again to a Harry Erskine,and lived to the age of 90. Albert Russel Erskine is interred in the largest mausoleum in Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Al. If any of you have any other tid-bits let me know. Respectfully ; Roadster Dave

roadster dave
07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Should read in 1799 his grand mother

erniebrown
07-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Thank you, I have been to the Cemetary. . . but I hope to go when the re-enactments are being done. . .