ID:	1744236
    sigpic

Funny, I've seen those around too.

Comment

Teaser indeed, ... Ill be up there to tomorrow and thursday
      Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Well, enjoy the fun, see you here. Have seen a couple of suspicious characters called Palma and Quinn, hope to meet them soon.

Lol

John
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Nice cake, but I am thinking you might not want to take a bite of that!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            Well, enjoy the fun, see you here. Have seen a couple of suspicious characters called Palma and Quinn, hope to meet them soon.

Lol

John
            Hey John I didn't get a chance to talk to you yet, after that fiasco with the NASA tour I figured you might need some time to cool down. And trust me when I say this, you didn't miss anything - worst tour I have ever been on.
            sigpic
            1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

That's what Bob Johnstone and his chapter said. He didn't understand the issue as nothing secret was shown and photos were able to be taken. NASA folks just doing their job, but didn't offer coffee nor ask whether I'd like lunch as there was nowhere to go.

For those unaware of the issue I went on a trip to Wallops Island to visit NASA, but, due to not having my passport and the immigration stamp placed there upon my arrival in New York, was refused an entry pass and stayed at the pass office around four hours whilst everyone else was able to buy lunch and given a tour.

Such is life.

The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, Talk Time, and Rachael Ray were somewhat entertaining says he (me) with a laugh. They must feed audiences with amphetamines, can't believe how much noise they make.
              Last edited by avantilover; 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM.
              John Clements

Comment

John-
                I'm not an official spokesman for the US Govt, but worked for the Navy for many years and saw how bureaucrats can badly misinterpret rules that were written for other situations. The regs regarding non-US citizens visiting US Govt facilities can be particularly onerous, burdensome, and potentially embarrassing.

Please accept our apologies for a stupid decision. The beer's on us.

Skip
                Last edited by avantilover; 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

NASA has always been like this (especially since 9/11).
                  Foreign travelers always need to pre-register and have their documentation sent and approved ahead of time.
                  BTDT several times down at KSC, but had no issues because protocol was followed.
                  Sounds like some local homework wasn't researched enough when the tours were organized.
                  That's too bad...
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    NASA has always been like this (especially since 9/11).
                    Foreign travelers always need to pre-register and have their documentation sent and approved ahead of time.
                    BTDT several times down at KSC, but had no issues because protocol was followed.
                    Sounds like some local homework wasn't researched enough when the tours were organized.
                    That's too bad...
                    In defense of the DelMarVa Chapter, they are a very small chapter with very few worker bees and they had a ton of tours planned. But, there were several screwups on the Wallops Island Tour. First, when we arrived at the departure door we were told that no open-toed shoes were allowed due to visiting the fabrication facility (industrial hazards). Several women had only open-toed sandals (including my wife). Finally it was decided that they could ride along, but just wouldn't be admitted to the industrial area. However, on the tour the offending women were taken in to the facility without any question or requirement other than to put on safety glasses. And, the departure time was moved up from 9am to 8:15. 8:15 was printed on the tickets in the meet package, but four people showed up for a 9am departure. We were about 45 minutes down the road when the decision was made to turn the bus around and pick up the dummies. So, that cost us an hour and a half of our tour time at Wallops. Then the bus went to the main gate only to be turned back to the pass office where John ran in to the buzzsaw. That cost us more time (certainly not blaming John). So, we missed going to the visitor center where we would have seen a movie and received a lecture about the program at Wallops Island and we missed seeing the "garden" where they had an exhibit of the various rockets used there. Instead we went directly to the cafeteria which apparently was waiting to close so the staff there wasn't very friendly (and we weren't treated to lunch- we paid like anyone else and that was OK since there was no plan for a free lunch anyhow).
                    From lunch we went to the industrial facility where they fabricate everything for the rockets except the nose cones. It was an EXCELLENT tour showing the huge lathes and cutting machines in operation. Especially interesting was the water jet cutting operation where a 50,000 psi water jet was cutting a circle from a four-inch thick sheet of steel. The operator was very personable and gave us a great presentation explaining the machine. From there we visited the mission control center (nothing going on) and then were bussed to the actual Wallops Island from which the rockets are launched. That was very worth while too. We spent some time at the pad where the Anteres rockets are launched for resupply of the Space Station. From there we returned to the pass office to pick up John. Needless to say, he wasn't the happiest person on the bus.
                    Then the bus developed an air hose leak that was extremely loud and many people moved to the back of the bus to escape the noise. It controlled the driver's seat cushioning and the door (door could only be opened by using the emergency switch). The driver called a mechanic who did meet us along the road on the return trip. He fixed the problem with the bus on the shoulder of the busy highway. However, we still arrived at the meet site and hour and a half late (6:30) which sort of spoiled going to Welcome Night at 7pm.
                    I don't want this to sound negative because DelMarVa Chapter worked very hard to keep the cost of tours down and ours was truly a bargain at $35 each. And the meet facility is spectacular with everything within a radius of a few hundred yards (and both my wife and I came out well ahead using the free $25 ticket for the slots). Clearly Dover Downs and the state of Delaware went all out toward the success of this meet.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I remember reading on this SDC Forum, well in advance of this week, that it may be a problem for non-US residents to get admission to any NASA site. It was recommended that anyone interested to check first and to at least bring their passport, which to me is the thing to do whenever travelling in a foreign country. I think that someone else said to just show up and take your chances. I guess that is what you did and had the consequences of it.

This is my fourth day at the Dover Convention and overall I am satisfied. I would have liked to have the usual pocket agenda.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I followed all instructions by Mark Henning, whom I haven't seen at all. It would be simple to have someone asking whether overseas guests have passports and all would be well.
                        John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          John-
                          I'm not an official spokesman for the US Govt, but worked for the Navy for many years and saw how bureaucrats can badly misinterpret rules that were written for other situations. The regs regarding non-US citizens visiting US Govt facilities can be particularly onerous, burdensome, and potentially embarrassing.

Please accept our apologies for a stupid decision. The beer's on us.

Skip
                          No problems Skip, you would have thought someone was smart enough to ask if I wanted lunch, obviously I couldn't go anywhere.

If you're here skip, would be nice to meet you.

John
                          John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                            No problems Skip, you would have thought someone was smart enough to ask if I wanted lunch, obviously I couldn't go anywhere.

If you're here skip, would be nice to meet you.

John
                            John - PM sent.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I guess I would assign most of the blame to NASA, which spends as much management attention on PR as they do on building spacecraft. Tours of NASA facilities have to be a big part of their PR effort, and there have to have been plenty of foreign visitors in the past. Knowledge of NASA regs should not be assumed, so they should have EMPHASIZED any restrictions on such things as foreign nationals and open-toed shoes. And confronted with a passport-less foreign national, they should have either found someone in authority who could grant an exception to the reg, OR found proper accommodations (including refreshments) for their foreign visitor. Just common courtesy.

And the Delmarva chapter folks planning the tours should have made sure that they studied, understood, and reiterated any limits or conditions affecting those going on tours. Almost all SDC IMs have non-US attendees.

And I will mildly disagree with Gary's statement above regarding the necessity of carrying a passport at all times when travelling in an allied country. A passport often must be presented to register at a hotel, and having a passport on one's person would be handy if stopped by a traffic cop. But otherwise, it isn't required and should not be necessary in a friendly country.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X