Avanti R2 engine/steering oil/fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti R2 engine/steering oil/fluid

hello all, I'm looking to change fluids in the Avant R2 I recently acquired, a lot of different views on this forum on which oil is best and why, I am thinking about Valvoline 20w50 racing oil for the cam/lifter additive benefits, any reason this wouldn't be advised? also I am thinking dextron II or dextron III for the power steering. thanks

It seems alot of people with older cars promote the use of "heavy" oils such as the 20w50 you mentioned. The weight of the oil used should be based on the clearances (bearings, lifter, valves etc) in the engine. If the bearing clearances are within spec (typical of a low mileage or rebuilt engine) I would never use a 20w50 weight oil. 10w30 would be best or a 10w40 in hot climates and 5w30 in cold climates. an additive such as zppd is a good idea though. Hope this helps.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

I've used Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in my Avanti and in my 62 Hawk with an R1 engine for years, but oils such as Shell Rotella T or Mobil Delvac are also good. 20W-50 is an almost obsolete oil as it's not needed in most street driven cars. Like Irish said, 10-30 or 10-40 from a reputable refiner is also good. I use Delo 400 because it already has enough ZDDP to protect a flat tappet cam. I use Dexron III in the power steering units of my Studebakers with good results. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
        It seems alot of people with older cars promote the use of "heavy" oils such as the 20w50 you mentioned. The weight of the oil used should be based on the clearances (bearings, lifter, valves etc) in the engine. If the bearing clearances are within spec (typical of a low mileage or rebuilt engine) I would never use a 20w50 weight oil. 10w30 would be best or a 10w40 in hot climates and 5w30 in cold climates. an additive such as zppd is a good idea though. Hope this helps.

Joe
        ok, very good info, I do think I can get the Valvoline racing in the 10w40 but not 10W30, thanks much

Comment

And again...

I've used Castrol GTX in my "daily driver". As in it's my only car driven almost daily. It has been for over 12 years...with the same brand/weight oil in it.

In the new engine for my 54 wagon...(new) daily driver, it will get the Valvoline Racing oil (Synthetic), mostly because..."hopefully" it won't leak as bad as my Lark engine does..! I know the front won't...

I've had "NO" oil related problems in those 12+ years in my 259.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X