Noise in flight-o -matic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Noise in flight-o -matic

Trans in my 63 GT has a whinning noise in 1st 5 min. use,most noticable in Reverse & park but audible in drive.

I have been told it's due to fluid levels but it seems OK.The unit works great shifts properly,typical fluid leaks,selector shaft & front seal that i

have replaced 2X in 20yrs.Any thoughts or suggestions re: the noise appreciated.

The regulator is hunting for something to regulate..!
    It's either low on fluid or the filter could use cleaning or replacing.

These are the two main reasons for that buzzing noise.
    Your note on the "timeframe" of (5) minutes, sorta indicates maybe a filter is in order.

Mike

Comment

Check fluid pressures according to the manual. That will cause a buzz in reverse and neutral also.
      1936 Dictator
      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
      1953 Commander Regal HT
      1953 2R5 Pickup
      1947 M16 Truck
      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
      1963 GT Hawk R2
      1964 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

The OP said "whine", but someone else used the word "buzz". Apples and oranges. Most of us are familiar with the buzz that occurs when low on fluid, but that does not sound like what the OP is describing. With FOM, I do not recall hearing the buzz in gear, usually in Park or Neutral, or when not quite fully in Park, kinda between P and N.

Have had them whine in Reverse, 1st and 2nd, but do not recall whine in 3rd. If whine is what the OP is describing, it would depend on how loud & how long, whether I'd worry about it.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I guess a buzz would have been a better word to discribe the noise,I will try adjusting the linkage for a start & replacing the filter if that does not work

Comment

I will adjust the linkage then replace the filter if that does not help.I have rebuild kit that I would like installed this winter,not many

trans.shops in Hamilton area want to touch it.

Comment

I agree with linkage first, to include the passing gear linkage.

Comment

Add a half quart of ATF.
                61 lark cruiser
                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

The Buzzing sound in Reverse and Park in all of the Studes. I have owned has always been one of these three:

(1) Fluid Low

(2) Throttle Pressure Linkage (it is NOT a "Kickdown Rod") is out of Adjustment.

(3) Sagging Rear Engine Mounts and or missing Left Side Mount Spacer are the most common cause of #2.

Unless Fluid was Seriously Low, I never had one do that in Forward Gears.

Your experience may vary.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X