PDA

View Full Version : Help - generator needed - stuck in Ludlow, CA

lotsalarks
06-30-2014, 12:23 AM
What was supposed to be a relatively smooth, quick trip from Anaheim, CA to Colorado just turned south. We picked up Maureen (and Gordon) Bricken's 1958 President planning to drive through the desert in the evening, and we got as far as Ludlow (halfway between Barstow and Needles) when we started hearing grinding and squealing. Will lubed and greased the noisy generator, but sparks flew and he says the generator will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Does anyone on the forum know of any Studebaker folks in the area? Worst case scenario... We'll have to have someone from home FedEx a generator and wait it out for a day or two. :-/

Thanks for any leads!

~Lori

StudeRich
06-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Studebaker Parts and Service Long Beach (Bill Oliver) 562 435 3782 and Studebakers West, Redwood City (Carl) 650 366 8787 would probably have the Generator and be the closest, but are not next door either.

I have known Maureen Bricken and (Gordon RIP) for a very long time, good people.

Good luck finding help and with the rest of your trip, sorry to hear you had a problem, I know right where Ludlow is, in the middle of nowhere. :( Sorry I am not closer.

sals54
06-30-2014, 01:46 AM
So sorry to hear of your situation. I wish I could help. All out of generators over here.

Anne F. Goodman
06-30-2014, 02:07 AM
I can check in the morning. More than likely we have one. Just don't know how we could get it to you. I'm in Fresno. 559-486-2715

8E45E
06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I would even go as far as to check out a local auto parts store in Ludlow which may be within walking distance from your hotel. If the auto parts store has been around for years, they just might have one in the back of the store collecting dust. I presume it is a Delco 12V generator common to a few different makes of cars from that time, and not too difficult to find.

Skybolt
06-30-2014, 08:20 AM
I have a delco from a 59 Lark 170 if that will work? I'm In Glendora 91740 at the intersection of the 57 and the 210, if that's any help.

(626) 833-4961 Len.

M15 Trucker
06-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Studebaker Parts and Service Long Beach (Bill Oliver) 562 435 3782 and Studebakers West, Redwood City (Carl) 650 366 8787 would probably have the Generator and be the closest, but are not next door either.

I have known Maureen Bricken and (Gordon RIP) for a very long time, good people.

Good luck finding help and with the rest of your trip, sorry to hear you had a problem, I know right where Ludlow is, in the middle of nowhere. :( Sorry I am not closer.

I wouldn't say Ludlow is in the middle of nowhere. It's just off the middle of nowhere. Now Amboy, that's in the middle of nowhere, but they have pretty good cold lemon aid Amboy cafe, if it's still there.

bezhawk
06-30-2014, 09:35 AM
I would even go as far as to check out a local auto parts store in Ludlow which may be within walking distance from your hotel. If the auto parts store has been around for years, they just might have one in the back of the store collecting dust. I presume it is a Delco 12V generator common to a few different makes of cars from that time, and not too difficult to find.
Exactly, Not Studebaker specific at all!!! Almost ANY 12 volt generator will fit and work.

57pack
06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Any abandoned GM or Studebakers of near that vintage laying around?

Anne F. Goodman
06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
I do have one off of a 63 lark just let me know

Studerick64
06-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Jim Swank is based in Bakersfield 661-835-9502

lotsalarks
06-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips and leads. Don in Florida even gave us the phone number of his cousin in Barstow! It looks like one of the FLAPS in Barstow can get a generator that will work from Victorville this morning and possibly out here to Ludlow this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers... And I'll keep your leads on hand just in case. :-)

~Lori

warrlaw1
06-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Attaboy. If you can polarize that generator and make sure your voltage regulator is putting out, she should run a lot better (accessories, too).

Anne F. Goodman
06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Fantastic News My son was figuring the mileage and just how many tanks of gas on his VStar Last night.

StudeRich
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
It is a good thing Lori found one Anne, because a '63 Should have an Alternator not a Generator.

RadioRoy
06-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Plus, all of the major vendors are at Dover this week. I had to stop progress on my brake job because of parts needed. Glad I'm not on the road.

Good luck!

warrlaw1
06-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, Roy, that could explain the lack of eBay bids on Studes this week end, too. Lots of 'em with no bids. This week-end is my busiest for real estate closings. Everybody waited until school was out to plan a move. Not many people are thinking "I need a new hobby car". Glad Lori can get underway. I'm staying in the drive way.

Anne F. Goodman
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah but its engine is out of a different Stude. David put an alternator on it.

jackb
06-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd bet any Delco from the mid to late 50's would work. Might...might have to remove/replace the pulley, probably not.....GL... BTW, the generator in my '53 2R is from a '56 Pontiac/GM.....

JoeHall
06-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Broke down in Ludlow is a desperate situation, so it may be helpful to think out of the box: If there's a FLAPS in Ludlow, you could swap it over to a 1-wire alternator easy enough.

Another idea, you could probably limp along indefinitely, bypassing the generator with a shorter belt. You'd need to run with the lights out, and recharge the battery every 100 miles or so.

All else failing, you could probably limp to where help is available by disconnecting the generator, insulating the wires, and checking on generator meltdown every few miles. Again, lights out and recharge every 100 miles or so.

lotsalarks
06-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Woo-hoo! The gen is swapped, works great, the locals have been incredibly helpful, and we'll hit the road again in a bit (after a Dairy Queen break, of course!).

Thanks one and all for your ideas, tips, contacts, and moral support! Hopefully this is the biggest bump on our road home and we'll continue with smoother roads. ;-)

~Lori

Anne F. Goodman
06-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Fantastic news be sure and let us know that you made it home safely.

RadioRoy
06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Hooray! Glad you are back on the road.

When you have time, please give more details of how the swap came about.

JoeHall
07-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Glad you are back on the road, and did not have to resort to any desperate measures. Rear bushing failure on generators (works its way out and disappears) is fairly common, and another good reason to swap to a 1-wire alternator, if you plan to seriously drive the car. Or you could carry a spare generator in the trunk.

jackb
07-01-2014, 07:48 AM
not to get into any exchange, but I've found over the years that a good rebuilt generator outlasts any alternator I've placed on a Stude. 1-wire GM or Prestolite.....Just my experience...probably a result of the rebuild shop's attention to detail...

JoeHall
07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
not to get into any exchange, but I've found over the years that a good rebuilt generator outlasts any alternator I've placed on a Stude. 1-wire GM or Prestolite.....Just my experience...probably a result of the rebuild shop's attention to detail...
I am all to familiar with the rattle and sparks that occur when the rear bearing disappears; it happened on my driver 56J, and a friends driver 56J, also on a 59 (60?) Lark, 6 cylinder I had with less than 50,000 miles on it. All three of those were Auto-Lite, so maybe its an Auto-Lite thing.
Also, parts availability on the road is a consideration (to me), i.e. if broke down in Ludlow, CA and its an alternator, help is only as far away as the nearest FLAPS. If its a generator, thats another story, as this thread testifies to.

studeclunker
07-01-2014, 10:46 AM
So glad to hear you're back on the road and on the way home. I too would like to hear the 'Ludlow story' as it were, when you are home and safe.