PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Studebaker Drive Shaft Help Please

Stevel Knievel
06-29-2014, 11:50 AM
A few days ago I noticed my 64 Champ was making a tapping noise when leaving from a dead stop. I crawled under it to find the bracket which secures the drive shaft to the underside of the truck bed was missing all of the hardware on one side and the other side was loose and dangling around. I tried to remove the loose bolt holding the entire bracket on unsuccessfully. The bolt just kept spinning and I figured it was stripped. I spent the last hour trying to cut through the bolt with a sawzall. I finally cut through it. I was able to inspect the parts and it seems to me the threads were welded into the bed frame at the factory and now the weld on the threads is busted which caused the bolt to spin freely. I can repair the side that all the hardware fell out of with new hardware but the side with the busted weld on the threads has me stumped. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you. Here is a pic of what's going on

sweetolbob
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
A few days ago I noticed my 64 Champ was making a tapping noise when leaving from a dead stop. I crawled under it to find the bracket which secures the drive shaft to the underside of the truck bed was missing all of the hardware on one side and the other side was loose and dangling around. I tried to remove the loose bolt holding the entire bracket on unsuccessfully. The bolt just kept spinning and I figured it was stripped. I spent the last hour trying to cut through the bolt with a sawzall. I finally cut through it. I was able to inspect the parts and it seems to me the threads were welded into the bed frame at the factory and now the weld on the threads is busted which caused the bolt to spin freely. I can repair the side that all the hardware fell out of with new hardware but the side with the busted weld on the threads has me stumped. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you. Here is a pic of what's going on

Cut a hole either round or square large enough to remove the stub. Make a plate, weld a nut to it and cut out a section large enough to weld the new plate flush with the cross member. It will look and act like new.

Stevel Knievel
06-29-2014, 12:18 PM
What kind of welder do I need for this job. I might run to Harbor Freight right now.

63t-cab
06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Here's another option! die grind 3 sides of the original plate (You pick the 3 ) and pull it open like a book.re-weld a new nut to the same spot the old one was,only better than the factory did.now carefully close the plate back up (You might need a little heat )? and weld the cuts back up. You may weld a little at a time,to allow proper alignment as You fold it back into place.

Stevel Knievel
06-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Here's another option! die grind 3 sides of the original plate (You pick the 3 ) and pull it open like a book.re-weld a new nut to the same spot the old one was,only better than the factory did.now carefully close the plate back up (You might need a little heat )? and weld the cuts back up. You may weld a little at a time,to allow proper alignment as You fold it back into place.

That sounds brilliant. What kind of welder could I use to replace the nut and close it up? Would this one work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

Stevel Knievel
06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Also, what type of metal should the nut be made of?

63t-cab
06-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Steve, check the PM box (upper right blue corner)

Dwain G.
06-29-2014, 04:25 PM
I'd first try punching the old nut through and installing a new blind rivet nut. The only drawback might be renting/borrowing the proper tool for installation.

over50
06-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Can you get to the other side of the formed/riveted box member? If so, I would consider drilling through to the other side and installing the drive shaft support with long bolts. Put in a sleeve so the box doesn't collapse when tightening the bolts. Make the sleeves slightly short and use washers so the bolts/nuts pull up tight. Use Loctite so if the joint loosens, the nuts can't eventually work off the bolts. There isn't any welding needed if you can use this method.