Questions about 1964 Hawk GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 1964 Hawk GT

We just acquired a 1964 Studebaker Hawk GT, it has the 289 4 barrel R1 engine, factory 4 speed, 160 mph speedo, and factory posi rear end. It has AC, PS, PB, black bucket seat and center console. I'm thinking with what little I know that this maybe a very rare car with these options. Possibly a one of a kind. I know they didn't make very many Hawks in 64 and even less with the R1 engine and a very few had the factory 4 speed. I'm not sure how many others had the 160 mph speedo or posi rear end.

The good;

It's about 80% restored now with a fresh paint job and a rebuilt motor.

The bad;

it's a basket case with about half the car in boxes that are NOT marked and none of the parts are marked and no clue where they go or how to put it together. Its all there the guy said and it came with a ton of extra parts, (almost enough to built a 2nd car lol) many that are NOS.
    What it this car worth in it's current condition and what would you think it will be worth when done?

Just looking for a few opinions on if we made a good deal buying this or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1744220

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum, with a basket case Car you will need a LOT of help and you will find the much needed help here, on the Tech. Page and in the SDC Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" and Members in your local Chapter that will be as helpful as they possibly can be.

You can join us on this website at the Link on the Home Page, for a first time Discount, glad to have you with us!

You are correct the '64 GT Hawks are not too common, and less with R1 Avanti power. Most of the options you mention and more are standard with the Jet Thrust Engine Package.

I would bet that the "power brakes" you refer to, are Power Disc Brakes not available on any other American car in '64.

If you give us the Serial Number we can determine if it IS a factory correct "Super Hawk".
    The Engine Number will verify if it still has a "JT" Engine. The location of the Engine Number and number breakdown list is here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

You will find the Serial number plate on the forward Left Door Post.

As far as whether it was a good deal or not, depends on many things like: initial cost, finish cost and how much you can do yourself.

In my opinion a rare equipped car like that should be restored Original to achieve the best value on a desirable model like a GT Hawk. That would include getting rid of the non-original Two Tone paint and getting the correct probably original Bordeaux Red.

The Production Order is available to purchase at the Studebaker National Museum, a must have, for a car like this.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is the place for help. Great site.

Comment

All I can say is...you're a lucky son of a gun to have an Avanti powered Hawk...disassembled or completely done. If it's verified as a Super Hawk, you're living in rarified air...one of the most desirable Studebakers post-WWII if not all-time.

There's lots of great help here. One of the first things to do is obtain copies of the shop manual and parts manual...I cannot stress how important that is. For parts numbers and exploded diagrams to show you how things fit together and the shop manual for instructions...other marque aficionados should have it as lucky.

Order a copy of the build sheet through the Studebaker National Museum. It will verify how the car left the factory...color, options, etc. It's not expensive and worth very penny.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Welcome!

I suggest you also join a local chapter of the Driver's club.

And, in addition to the manuals, see if you can make a relatively local friend that has a Hawk of any vintage.

Studebakers of that body style (which you will see referred to in the forum as C/K cars) stayed pretty much the same under the skin for model years 53-64. So if you have a friend with a Hawk that you can look at in person, you'll be able to determine location and orientation of those parts in the boxes.

Comment

You will find all the help you need on this forum. I also have a 64 GT Hawk feel free to contact me with any questions.
            StudeRick & Johna
            Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1963 Avanti
            1961 Lark Wagon
            1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I forgot to say another bad it the original motor had a cracked block and was replaced with another 289 block from a 64 but not sure if it was from a R1 block or if there is any difference. It is not supercharged if that's what you mean by Super Hawk. We are in N. Idaho if there are any local clubs near here. Yes i'm not thrilled with the paint job the guy did either but it will stay for now. He also put that gray trunk paint in the engine bay thay looks like $-hit and will have to be fixed as well. I will post the vin. # later. I will be busy with company for the next few weeks. Tnx for the welcome and I know I will be using the site a lot in the month's to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish-N-Fool View Post
                I forgot to say another bad it the original motor had a cracked block and was replaced with another 289 block from a 64 but not sure if it was from a R1 block or if there is any difference. It is not supercharged if that's what you mean by Super Hawk. We are in N. Idaho if there are any local clubs near here. Yes i'm not thrilled with the paint job the guy did either but it will stay for now. He also put that gray trunk paint in the engine bay thay looks like $-hit and will have to be fixed as well. I will post the vin. # later. I will be busy with company for the next few weeks. Tnx for the welcome and I know I will be using the site a lot in the month's to come.
                If you post the Engine Number from the block, someone will tell you what it was originally for/from (or look it up in the reference section of this site) and if it was an R1 or R2 or "regular" 289.
                No, a Super Hawk was a particular package and could have been either R1 (non-supercharged) or R2 (supercharged).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'd seen that car advertised on our local craigslist for years and had to chain myself to the mast to keep from buying it. How good a deal you got will depend on how much of the final assembly you can do yourself.

I forgot to say another bad it the original motor had a cracked block and was replaced with another 289 block from a 64
                  To a lesser degree, it will depend on who built the engine and what is actually in there. If the replacement was the complete standard short block, long block or engine, it would be a 225hp instead of the R1 240hp. If all the R1 parts were transferred into the new block, then it would be an R1 in everything other than serial number.

but not sure if it was from a R1 block or if there is any difference.
                  All late Studebaker V8 blocks were the same, but to some collectors, the original engine block is worth more, even though any other would run the same.

It is not supercharged if that's what you mean by Super Hawk.
                  No, Super Hawk was an option package and could have been an unsupercharged R1 or a supercharged R2 or, in theory, an R3 or R4.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Another '64 owner here. Glad to help if I can.
                    sigpic
                    '89 Ford Festiva
                    '90 Ford F250 4x4
                    '18 Kia Soul
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

...you will have your hands full on several levels: 1) You don't know what parts you have, or that they belong to the car, or that the parts needed to complete the car are there (not insurmountable), but leads to 2) which is even with pictures it will be difficult for this group to assemble the car here on line. You need someone who is familiar with Hawks (GT's), and can direct you accordingly. Now 3) and maybe a save....1964 cars got engine stampings that were quite liberal for all makes.....you might get lucky and match..... get back here for more info. BTW, the engine ID is on a flat machined pad just to the driver's side of the top water thermostat housing...

Comment

Welcome to the forum and the SDC, since you are in Northern Idaho you may be interested in the upcoming Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet Aug 15-16 in Post Falls Idaho. It would be a great chance to meet other Studebaker lovers and take pictures of similar cars. http://www.sdc-nw.org/UpcomingEvts/ZoneMeet14Reg.pdf
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          No, a Super Hawk was a particular package and could have been either R1 (non-supercharged) or R2 (supercharged).
                          What did the package include to know if this is a Super Hawk or not.

Comment

This might help you get oriented....

which is the option page, printed in Turning Wheels a while ago...

You should really order a copy of the build sheet to see which numbers apply. From that it would be easier to can sort out which parts apply and if they are present.
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

You are correct the '64 GT Hawks are not too common, and less with R1 Avanti power. Most of the options you mention and more are standard with the Jet Thrust Engine Package.

I would bet that the "power brakes" you refer to, are Power Disc Brakes not available on any other American car in '64.

If you give us the Serial Number we can determine if it IS a factory correct "Super Hawk".
                              The Engine Number will verify if it still has a "JT" Engine. The location of the Engine Number and number breakdown list is here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

You will find the Serial number plate on the forward Left Door Post.

The serial # is 64V-12909
                              I don't have the engine # yet.
                              The body tag is 64V K6 1163

Last edited by Fish-N-Fool; 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X