PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Master cyl. for Turner 61 Lark

prez55
06-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Doing a disc conversion for a friend on his 61 Lark. What is a good dual master cyl. replacement. Showed up with 1 for 76 Chrysler that really does not fit the hole. Was thinking 68 Mustang disc. Turners instructions say to call at night. Hoping some one could speed up process. Thanks David

StudeNewby
06-25-2014, 01:20 PM
I have just been in email contact with Jim re; my 64 Champ. He said he would use the 68 Mustange MC on it, and while I'm guessing, I would say that would fit a 61 Lark as well, but I will defer to greater minds.

prez55
06-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Up date went with 68 Mustang disc m/c and was a bolt in on the bottom 2 bolt holes. Worked really nice . Good solid pedal even without power. Wish all conversions worked this well.

1962larksedan
07-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Up date went with 68 Mustang disc m/c and was a bolt in on the bottom 2 bolt holes. Worked really nice . Good solid pedal even without power. Wish all conversions worked this well.

I was going to do the Turner disc swap on my 1962 Lark V8 but, had to sell it first due to financial reasons. Suffice to say; the 1968 Mustang disc brake MC worked well with the stock drum brakes, the original single reservoir unit had to be replaced anyway since the car sat for over 30 years and bypassed (pedal went to the floor).

Warren Webb
07-07-2014, 07:42 PM
The only problem you may have Pierce is the disc brake master cylinder your using may not have the residual pressure valve that drum brakes require. You could add that inline before the master cylinder.

LeoH
07-07-2014, 08:34 PM
And not that he likely wouldn't know that information, BUT, I was just at this page which may have that information for him about the RPV: http://www.studebaker-info.org/brakesystems270907.html

1962larksedan
07-07-2014, 09:40 PM
The only problem you may have Pierce is the disc brake master cylinder your using may not have the residual pressure valve that drum brakes require. You could add that inline before the master cylinder.

The pedal was high and had the typical 1" of travel before the brakes locked up. Remember too that some 'drum brake' vehicles used the same master cylinder from the factory as their disc brethren so, the residual valve may not be critical in the real world (at least on firewall mounted MCs).

StudeRich
07-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I would not bet on that one, I do not know of any M/C for Discs that did not have a Larger Reservoir for the Front Discs and smaller for the rear Drums and a Residual Valve for the Rears.

No Studebaker had a Drum Brake M/C used in the same condition (with a residual valve for front or both) as a Disc Brake Car for sure.

As many have said here before, brakes are NOT something you want to guess or experiment with.

Mike Van Veghten
07-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Interesting that no one's given an actual answer. There are "many" Mustang M.C.'s.

Most any M.C. with a 1.00" bore will work great, and you wont need a power booster. Obviously a duel cylinder is preferable, but may not be the cureall/saveall that some thing a dual should be. Some work as a complete different system, some dont.
But a duel is preferable in any case.

I like this one -
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderList.aspx?group=Tandem%20Remote%20Master%20Cylinder

You put the reserviors up under the hood, easy to get to. Parts are easy to get.

Mike