Power steering for a '51 or '52 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power steering for a '51 or '52 Studebaker

Has anyone here ever tried adapting the linkage type (Bendix) power steering from a later Lark/Hawk to a '51 or '52 Studebaker car? I'm thinking the bell crank with the extra "ear" for the cylinder and the control valve would be the potential problem areas. Thanks in advance for any ideas about this.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

This 52 has power steering. I sent you a PM with contact info.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Bob Stehlik, Winchester, Oregon installed late linkage power steering on his 1951. There are pictures and an article on the old Cascade Oregon web page. Just look under chapters on the SDC page and it will give you the link. Bob wrote a nice article on this.

Comment

A cheaper option would be to do more "work outs". Drive the car more often till you get used to it. It builds character as well as muscle.
        BTW, if your car is hard of steering, you may want to grease the bejeebers out of the front end first. King pins especially. Pump grease into them till its coming out of the top. Its a mess, but usually makes the car 10 times easier to steer. Mine can parallel park without pwr steering even when it had wide tires on it.
        sals54

Comment

Tires make a big difference too.Also see what steering box you have,my 51 has a Saginaw box with a V 8 (6 cyl car originally) and a friend has a 52 hard tot v 8 car (original a v 8 car ) with a Ross box and it steers harder. I'm running 195/60/15 tires on chrome smoothies on the front of my car. Used to call Sal option "arm strong power steering" LOL

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I found the info about Bob Stehilk's (spelling?) job on a '51 Champion. Looks like a great way to do it.
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Here's the link. http://users.mcsi.net/cascadestudeba...es/Page481.htm
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

From one Howard to another Howard, Thanks Howard!

Comment

Has anyone tried this on a 50 Commander? Mine sure steers hard.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X