No announcement yet.

How do you remove a Champion oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How do you remove a Champion oil pump?

I have been disassembling the old original Champion engine that came with my M series pickup. I started taking the oil pump off and got stuck where the shop manual says I need a special puller. Does anyone have a work around method for removing the gear from the shaft that goes to the cam gear?
    For what its worth. When I got the pickup some 40 years ago it had thrown a rod and destroyed a piston. I figured the engine was junk. I was surprised when I opened it up and began pulling parts that the block appears unharmed and even the crank looked good. The pan only had a small tear that could be easily repaired. The only other flathead six I ever replaced was out of a Dodge and it was a mess inside.
    Last edited by 52-fan; 06-25-2014, 08:09 AM. Reason: Correct error.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Fuel pump...?

Mike

Comment

You must be talking about an oil pump, no?

Comment

You're right, I typed the wrong word in the title. It is corrected now. I still don't have an answer.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

You MAY get lucky and have the gear slide off but probably not. The pullers are easy to make though.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	puller-oil pump gear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1691149
          Rick
          Kingman, AZ

Comment

Yea...can't help on that one. Never done it.

Mike

Comment

I use a small heel bar. Sometimes called a lady foot. Slide it under the gear and pry it up. Once the gear is off, remove the woodruff key and "c" clip next to the housing. If you are replacing the pump, you can tack a nut on the gear and use a bolt to push it off.

Comment

If you are any good with fine welding you can make one like in the diagram above. I made one for my Champion engine and it worked, although it was not machined unit. I made mine out of some pipe and washers. Just use the diagram for dimensions and it will work. I found mine again a few days ago. The pumps I have worked on were a 50/50 mix of gears that came out easy and ones that needed assistance. Good luck with your project.

Len.

Comment

I don't see a diagram, but I think I have the idea. I may be wasting my time anyway, but i hate to throw away good Studebaker parts.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Click on the little picture in my other post. It's a dimensioned drawing of the puller.
                    Rick
                    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                      Click on the little picture in my other post. It's a dimensioned drawing of the puller.
                      Okay, I just missed the drawing.
                      I have studied the pictures in the shop manual and now the drawing and I still don't understand how that puller grips the gear to pull it off. I must be missing something. ? I need one of those "aha" moments when the light goes on.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                        Okay, I just missed the drawing.
                        I have studied the pictures in the shop manual and now the drawing and I still don't understand how that puller grips the gear to pull it off. I must be missing something. ? I need one of those "aha" moments when the light goes on.
                        Well...If it's any comfort to you...I've had several of these engine apart, removed and replaced oil pumps, never had the tool, and don't remember how I handled getting the oil pumps off and back on. Good grief! That bothers me.

I suppose I'll have to wander out to the man cave tomorrow and "figger it out."
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had a thought that might explain my confusion. I didn't look to see if the gear had threads on the inside. If the tool is tall enough, the gear could be pulled up into the tool while it rests against the oil pump housing, but it is only 1 1/2" inside. I need to clean off so of the old black oil so I can see better and measure the length of the gear.
                          I'll probably just try to find, or make, a small L shaped pry bar to slip under the gear.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Old post but here it goes. I am also trying to remove the oil pump. I have the pan off, so no special tool needed apparently. I am almost there but the "Woodruff Key" is the only think holding it up. How do I remove this bugger?

Thanks in advance,

LN

Comment

If the gear won't slide off, you will need a puller like the picture in post #5. Or a small pry bar. Some gears are tight on the shaft and other ones are loose.
                              Rick
                              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X