Studebaker exposure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker exposure...

Well...recognizing this could be construed by some "sensitive souls" as a violation of the following forum rules

"Political, religious, racial and volatile subjects are not permitted in any of these forums."

I'm gonna post this anyway...

Going to drive my little Coupe to the polls to vote in a "run-off" election today.

Given today's dumbed down, uninvolved, low information, public...

Studebaker exposure is questionable...probably won't be anyone around to notice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0390.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1744190
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

'Bully for you, John; let 'em see what you've got. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I hear ya, but let's hope you're surprised though. We had a primary recently and turnout for election day well exceeded early voting totals and that was not expected. Let's hope you have the same experience.

THREAD LOCK!

Comment

Odd isn't it? The internet at your fingertips, a wealth of information (when you get past the "questionable" websites). Yet, it appears that people on average are becoming more prone to the mob mentality without researching the facts on their own. Regardless, give them hell John!
        1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5
        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I always drive my Studebaker to the Polls. They usually find a special place for me to Park also.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
            I hear ya, but let's hope you're surprised though. We had a primary recently and turnout for election day well exceeded early voting totals and that was not expected. Let's hope you have the same experience.

THREAD LOCK!
            Well...the deed is done. Somewhat comical. Our state has passed a "Picture I.D." requirement. When I arrived, only the poll workers present. I offered my brand new, just issued, VA I.D. card with picture. They demanded a drivers license. I complied but let them know they were probably in error. The whole process is a goofy "twilight-zone" experience. In addition to the picture I.D., you have to show your voter card. Then, you sign the sheet. Then...they give you this silly blank red shipping label. You walk four feet over to the poll worker activating the electronic poll machine. You hand him the blank shipping label. He clicks something on the machine, takes a couple of steps back, and you can then vote.

The guy helping at the voting machine went nuts over the car. Since I was the only voter present, we had time to talk about it. He asked, "How old is that Buick?" We had a brief discussion as I informed him it was a 1948 Studebaker. He also stated that it was amazing that it still looked that good after all these years. When I told him that I had completely disassembled and rebuilt the car...his eyes glazed over and you could tell his brain couldn't process the concept.

As I was exiting, one of the other two poll workers came over and apologized. She had a manual in her hand and said that they should have accepted the VA I.D. card. All of this happened after 11:AM...I don't think sixty folks in a rather large precinct have voted. Just as I was leaving, a lady rolls up in a Prius...probably cancelled my votes.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good for you. After spending $thousands redoing every nut and bolt, tire kicking experts always tell me it's in good shape for its age. "Did you buy it new?" (I would have been 2 years old). Grin and bear it.
              Last edited by warrlaw1; 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Just as I was leaving, a lady rolls up in a Prius...probably cancelled my votes.
                Don't bet on it, John: One of the fellows in our church is a pony-tailed guy who generally wears shorts and flip-flops, drives a green Prius, and is one of the most savvy computer geeks I know...and looks the part. Really.

But he is also a Certified National Rifle Association Firearms Instructor, a serious gun collector, and every bit as politically conservative as I am...he even has a huge National Rifle Association logo/sticker on the back window of his Prius! Not the little standard one, mind you, but an abnormally-large one, maybe 6"-7" in diameter.

I joke with him about having that NRA logo on his Prius and he says, "Yeah; that way I can irritate everybody one way or another!" He's quite a character, as you can imagine, and a good friend with a brilliant mind. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John I go in and talk to the poll workers who all know me...Then I have to say me name and address.

Well...the deed is done. Somewhat comical. Our state has passed a "Picture I.D." requirement. When I arrived, only the poll workers present. I offered my brand new, just issued, VA I.D. card with picture. They demanded a drivers license. I complied but let them know they were probably in error. The whole process is a goofy "twilight-zone" experience. In addition to the picture I.D., you have to show your voter card. Then, you sign the sheet. Then...they give you this silly blank red shipping label. You walk four feet over to the poll worker activating the electronic poll machine. You hand him the blank shipping label. He clicks something on the machine, takes a couple of steps back, and you can then vote.

The guy helping at the voting machine went nuts over the car. Since I was the only voter present, we had time to talk about it. He asked, "How old is that Buick?" We had a brief discussion as I informed him it was a 1948 Studebaker. He also stated that it was amazing that it still looked that good after all these years. When I told him that I had completely disassembled and rebuilt the car...his eyes glazed over and you could tell his brain couldn't process the concept.

As I was exiting, one of the other two poll workers came over and apologized. She had a manual in her hand and said that they should have accepted the VA I.D. card. All of this happened after 11:AM...I don't think sixty folks in a rather large precinct have voted. Just as I was leaving, a lady rolls up in a Prius...probably cancelled my votes.
                  Jack White
                  Charlotte,NC
                  North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    I joke with him about having that NRA logo on his Prius and he says, "Yeah; that way I can irritate everybody one way or another!" He's quite a character BP
                    Don't take me too serious (Note the icon)...I'm not above resorting to cheap stereotype assumptions. I've even accused Prius drivers of being "Constipation" cars. You know...the ones poking around in the passing lane choking traffic. But again...I've had them pass me as if I were backing up.

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                    John I go in and talk to the poll workers who all know me...Then I have to say me name and address.
                    That's just you Jack. Lots of folks that know you refer to you as "What's his name!"
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Then there's a few like me -

1. Yes...I AM "somewhat" informed (out of choise).
                      2. No...I'm NOT dumbed down (yea, went thru many years of schooling, and continue to learn "something" every day).
                      3. No...I'm NOT "completely" uninvolved (I read a little about it, every now and again).

Politics just stinks...that's all. Ever since high school...I decided that all they (polititions) were after was increasing the size of their own wallets...and the "what have you done for me today" attitude.
                      And NO...I don't vote...out of free American choise.

Ever break down the word...politics ?

Poli = many
                      Tics = blood suckers

Peace

Mike

Comment

I usually do my part and vote. Most times I go to vote AGAINST as many as possible.

The little comunity building where we vote has been the site of many So.Ga. SDC meetings, including the first one.

The poll workers are local too so most of the time when I go to vote,the lady behind the desk says "Hey,Neil.Let me see your drivers license."
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

My take on things is that they are starting to change for the better on a national level in direct correlation to more people becoming educated about Studebakers.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                            My take on things is that they are starting to change for the better on a national level in direct correlation to more people becoming educated about Studebakers.
                            Way to steer the thread back on topic! Well done.

Comment

I don't know if it's different on election day here than early voting (shouldn't be), but we have sample ballots mailed with your info and a barcode that the poll workers just scan and away you go. Slick.

Comment

Working...
                              X