PDA

View Full Version : GT flipping - guess they did not like it...

62champ
06-24-2014, 06:50 AM
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/hawk/1658956.html?refer=rss

Probably still cheaper than you could rebuild one with all these bells and whistles.

BobPalma
06-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Patrick: The person who bought that Hawk at Mecum's Indianapolis sale was a dealer; this fellow.

It was bought there with the intention of reselling it to begin with (the seller who took it to Mecum personally reported that to me after the sale), so this appearance shouldn't be surprising to us.

Incidentally, note that the current seller (Happy Days Dream Cars LLC) is the same dealer who is marketing the Strato Blue, 13,000-mile 1964 Daytona Convertible. :ohmy: ;) BP

57pack
06-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Wow! He sure likes them Studebakers!
Sure are pricey automobiles.

DEEPNHOCK
06-24-2014, 07:34 AM
I helped Nate final detail this GT Hawk before the Concours at the Lancaster SDC IM...
It is/was a real nice car.
IIRC, JP got docked a point from the judge(s) because the trunk latch loop rod was supposedly installed upside down (which is an impossibility I am told)..

JDP
06-24-2014, 09:21 AM
I helped Nate final detail this GT Hawk before the Concours at the Lancaster SDC IM...
It is/was a real nice car.
IIRC, JP got docked a point from the judge(s) because the trunk latch loop rod was supposedly installed upside down (which is an impossibility I am told)..

Again, thanks to my pit crew at the meet, probably added a few points. The trunk loop issue was from a previous Hawk at another National meet and the claim was it was installed backwards. The point deduction was from a tiny scratch that we missed and a totally valid deduction.
Correction to the ad:
""Noted Studebaker expert John Poulos" that just finished the last 20% of a restoration:)

DEEPNHOCK
06-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Again, thanks to my pit crew at the meet, probably added a few points. The trunk loop issue was from a previous Hawk at another National meet and the claim was it was installed backwards. The point deduction was from a tiny scratch that we missed and a totally valid deduction.

So many GT Hawks... So little time... Who can remember them all?
(GT Hawks supposedly drove one judge insane, you know:whome:)

JDP
06-24-2014, 09:33 AM
So many GT Hawks... So little time... Who can remember them all?
(GT Hawks supposedly drove one judge insane, you know:whome:)

Just noticed the ad mentions a "frame off" restoration, when in fact, only the doors, hood and trunk were "off".

62champ
06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Incidentally, note that the current seller (Happy Days Dream Cars LLC) is the same dealer who is marketing the Strato Blue, 13,000-mile 1964 Daytona Convertible. :ohmy: ;) BP

What better way to make over $100K - sell a couple of Studebakers - who would have thought...

My title was supposed to be sarcastic, but I cannot find an emote for that.

JDP
06-24-2014, 10:05 AM
What better way to make over $100K - sell a couple of Studebakers - who would have thought...

In the end, he won't make near that 100K. He paid big bucks for both cars, and is taking a big risk if the market shifts a bit.

BobPalma
06-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Patrick, there is an emote for sarcasm: :yeahright:.

When you click on the smiley emote in the tool bar, a basic selection shows up. Click on the word MORE at the bottom of that basic selection and several more emoticons appear from which to choose, including that one.

It says, "Yeah, right...." :yeahright:

:) BP

studegary
06-24-2014, 01:53 PM
For that price, I would think that they could look at the car and get the spelling of Gran Turismo correct.

studefan
06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
As a member of John's pit crew, I can attest to the fact that the one single point deduction was attributed to a 1/4 scratch just to the left of the trunk opening. The judge said, "that's the only flaw we can find so, unfortunately, we'll have to deduct a point." I was standing next to the judge when he said it. Having crawled all over that car in the detailing process, I can verify that it is a beautiful machine.

Jeff Bradel

Randy Ridenour
06-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I remember that day at Lancaster very well. I pulled into the show field early in the morning and John's car along with his detailing crew were the first things that I remember seeing. I had never been to a national Studebaker meet and thought that I was in over my head after seeing his team and the amount of effort they were putting into the details. I had showed up by myself and got busy detailing my car. John's car set the bar high at that event!

DEEPNHOCK
06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
I remember that day at Lancaster very well. I pulled into the show field early in the morning and John's car along with his detailing crew were the first things that I remember seeing. I had never been to a national Studebaker meet and thought that I was in over my head after seeing his team and the amount of effort they were putting into the details. I had showed up by myself and got busy detailing my car. John's car set the bar high at that event!

Randy,
What you saw was what this forum is supposed to be all about.
It was just a bunch of forum guys pitching in to help another forum guy that posted his project status regularly on the forum.
Besides, JP bribed us with food and drink.
(Works every time <lol>)

(From my IPhone)

Randy Ridenour
06-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Jeff,

Good thing he didn't come over and offer me food and drink as I probably would have joined you guys! Yes, this forum is a great resource in many ways.

Randy

Mikado282
06-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Patrick, there is an emote for sarcasm: :yeahright:.

When you click on the smiley emote in the tool bar, a basic selection shows up. Click on the word MORE at the bottom of that basic selection and several more emoticons appear from which to choose, including that one.

It says, "Yeah, right...." :yeahright:

:) BP

"For that price, I would think that they could look at the car and get the spelling of Gran Turismo correct."

The trouble began with "Hooked On Phonics". Spelling has been all downhill since then.

JoeHall
06-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I am still running a 3.54-TT rear end, pulled in 1986 from a 64 GT Super-Hawk in Lester Schmidt's Stude junk yard, er salvage facility, out in El Cajon, CA. About 290,000 miles later, its still going strong. Those Super Hawks make good parts cars :D

JDP
06-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Not a religious guy, but part of me hopes that the late P.O. of the Hawk that passed away after doing the body work and paint would approve of our small part in showing off his dream car.

Trivia test: What authenticity deduction did the judges miss that still exists clearly in the pictures.

davepink53
06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
The Red White and Blue badge on the interior door trim, passenger side is upside down.

JDP
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
The Red White and Blue badge on the interior door trim, passenger side is upside down.

You nailed it.

davepink53
06-24-2014, 11:16 PM
LOL. I must admit that I am not that smart! I had a faint memory of you saying it was like that, just took a while for that memory to rattle to the front :confused:

stude dude
06-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Not a religious guy, but part of me hopes that the late P.O. of the Hawk that passed away after doing the body work and paint would approve of our small part in showing off his dream car.

Trivia test: What authenticity deduction did the judges miss that still exists clearly in the pictures.

I would have said loop pile carpeting.

But the car is beautiful.

Chris.

studegary
06-25-2014, 07:39 PM

I would say the windshield washer jet and the right, exterior, door chevron.