Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GT flipping - guess they did not like it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT flipping - guess they did not like it...

Probably still cheaper than you could rebuild one with all these bells and whistles.

Patrick: The person who bought that Hawk at Mecum's Indianapolis sale was a dealer; this fellow.

It was bought there with the intention of reselling it to begin with (the seller who took it to Mecum personally reported that to me after the sale), so this appearance shouldn't be surprising to us.

Incidentally, note that the current seller (Happy Days Dream Cars LLC) is the same dealer who is marketing the Strato Blue, 13,000-mile 1964 Daytona Convertible. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-24-2014, 05:53 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! He sure likes them Studebakers!
      Sure are pricey automobiles.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I helped Nate final detail this GT Hawk before the Concours at the Lancaster SDC IM...
        It is/was a real nice car.
        IIRC, JP got docked a point from the judge(s) because the trunk latch loop rod was supposedly installed upside down (which is an impossibility I am told)..
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          I helped Nate final detail this GT Hawk before the Concours at the Lancaster SDC IM...
          It is/was a real nice car.
          IIRC, JP got docked a point from the judge(s) because the trunk latch loop rod was supposedly installed upside down (which is an impossibility I am told)..

Again, thanks to my pit crew at the meet, probably added a few points. The trunk loop issue was from a previous Hawk at another National meet and the claim was it was installed backwards. The point deduction was from a tiny scratch that we missed and a totally valid deduction.
          Correction to the ad:
          ""Noted Studebaker expert John Poulos" that just finished the last 20% of a restoration
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            Again, thanks to my pit crew at the meet, probably added a few points. The trunk loop issue was from a previous Hawk at another National meet and the claim was it was installed backwards. The point deduction was from a tiny scratch that we missed and a totally valid deduction.
            So many GT Hawks... So little time... Who can remember them all?
            (GT Hawks supposedly drove one judge insane, you know)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              So many GT Hawks... So little time... Who can remember them all?
              (GT Hawks supposedly drove one judge insane, you know)
              Just noticed the ad mentions a "frame off" restoration, when in fact, only the doors, hood and trunk were "off".
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Incidentally, note that the current seller (Happy Days Dream Cars LLC) is the same dealer who is marketing the Strato Blue, 13,000-mile 1964 Daytona Convertible. BP
                What better way to make over $100K - sell a couple of Studebakers - who would have thought...

My title was supposed to be sarcastic, but I cannot find an emote for that.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  What better way to make over $100K - sell a couple of Studebakers - who would have thought...

In the end, he won't make near that 100K. He paid big bucks for both cars, and is taking a big risk if the market shifts a bit.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

Patrick, there is an emote for sarcasm: .

When you click on the smiley emote in the tool bar, a basic selection shows up. Click on the word MORE at the bottom of that basic selection and several more emoticons appear from which to choose, including that one.

It says, "Yeah, right...."

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

For that price, I would think that they could look at the car and get the spelling of Gran Turismo correct.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As a member of John's pit crew, I can attest to the fact that the one single point deduction was attributed to a 1/4 scratch just to the left of the trunk opening. The judge said, "that's the only flaw we can find so, unfortunately, we'll have to deduct a point." I was standing next to the judge when he said it. Having crawled all over that car in the detailing process, I can verify that it is a beautiful machine.

Jeff Bradel

Comment

I remember that day at Lancaster very well. I pulled into the show field early in the morning and John's car along with his detailing crew were the first things that I remember seeing. I had never been to a national Studebaker meet and thought that I was in over my head after seeing his team and the amount of effort they were putting into the details. I had showed up by myself and got busy detailing my car. John's car set the bar high at that event!
                          Randy Ridenour
                          Frostburg,MD
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Ridenour View Post
                            I remember that day at Lancaster very well. I pulled into the show field early in the morning and John's car along with his detailing crew were the first things that I remember seeing. I had never been to a national Studebaker meet and thought that I was in over my head after seeing his team and the amount of effort they were putting into the details. I had showed up by myself and got busy detailing my car. John's car set the bar high at that event!
                            Randy,
                            What you saw was what this forum is supposed to be all about.
                            It was just a bunch of forum guys pitching in to help another forum guy that posted his project status regularly on the forum.
                            Besides, JP bribed us with food and drink.
                            (Works every time <lol>)

(From my IPhone)

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Good thing he didn't come over and offer me food and drink as I probably would have joined you guys! Yes, this forum is a great resource in many ways.

Randy
                              Randy Ridenour
                              Frostburg,MD
                              1964 GT Hawk
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X