Pulled from the field today, 1949 2R10-22 Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled from the field today, 1949 2R10-22 Truck

Hi first time posting. Long story short, my in-laws are moving from their house of 40+ yrs and in the field where several vehicles. But my wife had her eye on this one. I admit I was reluctant but once I got it out, aired up the tire and cleaned the debris off it, I have a complete truck. 1949 2R10. Minus some trim and couple of nobs in the interior its all there. But now what do I do with it? Any one have a thought as to what's the value of this truck? Is there anyone in the Las Vegas area to go to? Thanks,
    Attached Files

Go to the home page, look under contacts and find the Chapter in the Las Vegas area. That should get you in touch with the local members.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Originally posted by benkaissa View Post
        But now what do I do with it?
        If I were you, I would contemplate putting it back on the road with an eye to safety and function rather than restoration. If you don't want to keep it, that's fine but, it will sell better if it can be safely driven away.

We know they can be made to run! Before that attempt I would make certain it can be made to stop! BRAKES FIRST ! ALWAYS ! Better no go than no whoa!
        To that end, here is a great primer for putting any old vehicle back on the road.

It's got some major dings and dents but the critical areas usually rusted out look to be intact--homage no doubt to Nevada weather.
        Also looks like it had the caravan bed cover at some point. If it's safely functioning and legal, it could be great fun, a functional truck and a real attention getter, especially on the strip! JDP may even want to use it to haul his chips!
        Restoration could always come later if desired; or by someone else, if desired. Anyone interested in buying it will pay you more for one they can drive home.
        Last edited by rockne10; 06-23-2014, 09:26 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ben! May I suggest what has been posted off the Club main page. Up top here click on the Studebaker Drivers Club home page, then click on under "new to Studebakers" the word "about" (I think that's it... I did it once here but when I tried going back to make sure it wont connect) then look for "tips & tech, ect" & you'll find a topic "things to do when you get your first Studebaker" or something to that affect. It contains a list of things in a logical order so that your new ownership will be a happy one. Don't forget us here either. We are happy to help whenever we can!
          Last edited by Warren Webb; 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wasn't that this, Warren?

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            To that end, here is a great primer for putting any old vehicle back on the road.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Your right Brad. I missed the link you posted that takes one directly to there. Blame it on a brain fart!
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips. Ill definately check out the las vegas chapter. Rust is minamal mostly driver side floor board. The wiring has most of the insulation missing.

Comment

Reproduction wiring harnesses are available, both in authentic cloth-covered wire and modern plastic. These are simple vehicles, and replacing a wiring harness is a simple job.
                  Last edited by Skip Lackie; 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

If your truck were found in that condition here in NJ, it would be in high demand.
                    Very cool truck, hope you fix her up. Fix the brakes first if motor checks out!
                    Hit my father in laws sail boat with my Packard when the front brake hose let loose!
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Very important, since I don't know your age and experience...make sure you use a six-volt battery and connect the positive post to ground! Unless that truck was changed to twelve volt...that is the kind of electrical system it has.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yup 6 volts. I've owned a few older vehicles and am a decent mechanic. Also I know my limits. So dad says that there was a "rod" going out on it and thats why it was parked in the mid 70's. If it needs rod bearings how big a job is that? One more question. I can not get the right rear wheel to turn. I pulled the wheel pulled the axle and made sure the ebrake is released. Do I need the drum puller for this model? Thanks.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Rod and main bearings are easily located. If you have plans to keep it, I'd pull the engine and go through. Job isn't as expensive as some would think. If it is known to have a rod noise, I'd see if will turn over but not start it for fear of further damage. If you had old cars, then you'd know the fun and excitement of driving something no one else has.
                            Kim

Comment

Successfully pulled the right rear drum. Not too rusty. Brake shoes look really good. This so far has been quite a find. I also talked to Donald at Lark works (thanks for the speedy quote btw) and a new wire harness will be ordered soon. Looking for a key set now as the originals MIA.

Comment

Working...
                              X