1959 Lark rough running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1959 Lark rough running

I have a 1959 Lark with a 6 cylinder (170). The car is at my Moms house and I inherited it last Fall. I go over there to start it when I can which I really have had no problems running it. This past Sunday I decided to bring it home to work on it so I ran it for 1/2 hour before driving it and the engine sounded nice and quite. (I drove it around the back yard just to make sure the brakes and steering were working properly before I let it run for awhile). After the 1/2 hour the car started sputtering and it was very hard to keep running and would stall when I would try to drive it. I read that a bad coil could cause this when the car warms up so I went back about 6 hours later to try and start it but I could barely keep it running. As far as I know the carb has been rebuilt within the past year or so (the same guy rebuilt mine I believe for my Galaxie but I was never satisfied with the results on mine so purchased a new one). The points were changed late last Summer but was never timed. Sorry to be so long winded but I'm trying to cover everything that I know about. I have joined a local club recently but thought I would ask all of you for any suggestions on my problem, where you purchase carbs, distributors and any other parts that I might need. Thank you very much in advance. John.

Drain some gas to check for water, add some Heet? and check your spark plugs. Good luck!

Comment

There seems to be a rash of bad condensers lately. Since you had the points changed last year it probably had the condenser changed too, right? Did you do it? If you have the old condenser I would put it back in & see if that helps. Perhaps you'll have a nice quiet running car again, quite right!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Having a carb you will also have a vented gas cap. If its old invest in a $9.20 replacement from Napa or parts supplier of your choice. Just about the same thing happened to me. The old gas cap could be creating a vacuum which will cause the sputtering by sucking the fuel back into the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
          Having a carb you will also have a vented gas cap. If its old invest in a $9.20 replacement from Napa or parts supplier of your choice. Just about the same thing happened to me. The old gas cap could be creating a vacuum which will cause the sputtering by sucking the fuel back into the tank.

I second this, it happened to me. And if that is not your problem then you are only out a 10ner
          Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Not true! Not all carbureted cars have vented gas caps.

Joe

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Working...
            X