PDA

View Full Version : OK Who Else is GETTTING READY?

jg61hawk
06-23-2014, 06:15 PM
So I'm trying very hard to button up work....I'll be gone for a week...the last time I did that "they covered for me" which meant I came back to a to do list!:QQ:

I've check the differential oil, changed the engine oil, changed the fuel filter, changed the air filter, adjusted the brakes and loaded the "travel box" of parts like fuel pump, and coil. I have clean underwear and some old meet shirts. Did I miss anything???

Chris Pile
06-23-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm getting ready for St. Louis.
I have plenty of time.

57hawk
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
I have the clean underwear packed and will be leaving in a couple of days. CU there.....

rockne10
06-23-2014, 08:59 PM
The problem with being retired is you can't request vacation time off! :woot: Can also get ready at my leisure; been doing that for a month! :!:

R_David
06-24-2014, 07:10 AM
Looking forward to seeing you again Jim, last time we talked was at the Rutland Vermont meet two years ago. I was looking forward to driving my Hawk down there, but it simply isn't safe to do so until I change the brake lines. Very upsetting. I probably shouldn't be driving it at all, but I can't help it on a nice day. I will be at Dover on Sunday, but I will be driving a Subaru instead. :(

Jet Green Daytona
06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm getting ready too Jim, mentally I've been ready. I thought I would have more done to my car by this time, but it didn't work out that way. It will still be there. Don't worry if you forget something, you can always buy what ever it is while you're there. By the way, I thought you were retiring sometime around now?

Todd

Studevette
06-24-2014, 11:14 AM
The wife and I have been ready to go for weeks now. It is getting to hot here in AZ and we are looking forward to the trip. The only delema is what car to take. We have the oportunity to drive my Grandparents 50 Champ or my Parents 71 Avanti. Both awesome cars and will be ready. Our truck won't be making it as an 11 gallon gas tank and no AC makes for a long ride to Dover.

StudeDave57
06-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Did I miss anything???

Put some gas in the tank... ;) :lol:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

studegary
06-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Today, I started doing some of the necessary things. I had the newspaper delivery stopped, mail held and did a bunch of laundry, including a bunch of Studebaker shirts. Later, I will send out a notice to my neighbors and relatives.
Related to that - Last evening, we attended the town board meeting. I was wearing a Studebaker truck tee shirt. Across the aisle from me was a guy that I know only from going to these meetings. He was wearing a Ford truck tee shirt. At the end of the meeting, I had a few "words" with him. His response was that everyone knows Ford and Chevy, but no one knows Studebaker.

jg61hawk
06-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Todd..(Jet Green) Yeah that was the plan when I posted my original post about two years ago.....retire in May 2014 attend the National....Buck List stuff. So goes the best laid plans of mice and men. Actually I guess I could technically bail but I would be in a tight spot just to stay home and read the paper...because that would be about where I would be. I could survive but not really piss away any money like I like to do...and will do in Dover. So I'm still working but on the good side you can get me to buy breakfast or a tee shirt!!!!

jg61hawk
06-24-2014, 08:09 PM
R-David....Still time for a few brake lines NO? You mean metal or flex rubber? Brakes are so over rated anyway. Did you ever hear anyone say they went for a great Saturday brake? No DRIVE is the key...just drive on down and don't plan on stopping. We'll all know who you are with the Flamingo color and the car constantly moving....kinda of reminds me of the old Kingston Trio song with Charlie the guy on the subway who paid a nickel to get on but couldn't pay to exit. The song goes on to say that every day Charlie's wife hands him a sandwich "as the train (STUDEBAKER) comes rumbling through". It is probably best known for its chorus:
Did he ever return?No he never returnedAnd his fate is still unlearn'dHe may ride forever'neath the streets of BostonHe's the man who never returned.

R_David
06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Haha, that's the kind of talk that gets me in trouble with Mrs. R_David!! I drove the Hawk today, she doesn't know. :woot:

The only reason I knew I had a brake line problem was when I had a mechanic I trust do a once over of the Hawk in prep for driving to Dover, he told me that the original metal brake lines were very rusty and that I shouldn't be driving it at all until I get them replaced. I looked at them myself and I have to agree, they look pretty bad. The rubber lines need replacement too, but at least they aren't the originals. He also told me that the Power Steering lines are original and need to be replaced or it could go out and leave me stranded. Then I remembered what you did on your trip to Vermont, I could just cut the belt and keep driving. :!:

Jet Green Daytona
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Todd..(Jet Green) Yeah that was the plan when I posted my original post about two years ago.....retire in May 2014 attend the National....Buck List stuff. So goes the best laid plans of mice and men. Actually I guess I could technically bail but I would be in a tight spot just to stay home and read the paper...because that would be about where I would be. I could survive but not really piss away any money like I like to do...and will do in Dover. So I'm still working but on the good side you can get me to buy breakfast or a tee shirt!!!!

Jim, there's nothing wrong with working. I keep making sure that I will be working for a long time by spending money. Its a viscous cycle....Todd

JRoberts
06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Piddling around starting to put the final touches on the car, but will probably not get serious about it until tomorrow. Heck I won't be leaving until Saturday morning.:rolleyes:

R_David
06-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Getting ready to leave Boston for Dover in about 30 minutes! I am so pumped to attend my first International meet! Here's to new friends and fun times! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

R_David
06-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Made it!! Crazy traffic, but I made it.

Deaf Mute
06-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Got here this afternoon... bridge traffic was no problem! Opened the car door to hear three NASCAR vehicles lapping the track. Got checked in to the room (overlooking turn 3), went down and picked up the meet packet and shot the breeze with several friendly club members! LIFE IS GOOD
:cheers:
The only thing missing was the "NASCAR ride-around" that was cancelled primarily to the fact that SDC members procrastinate when registering for a meet.
We will register for St. Louis yet this week! It's the right thing to do.:!:

COMMANDERPINK1
06-29-2014, 09:13 PM
See everyone sometime midday on Monday. Got as far as Hancock, Maryland before calling it a day. Cnt wait for an exciting week of things STUDEBAKER. Tom

Stu Chapman
06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
WELL HERE WE ARE IN DOVER!

All of a sudden yesterday it was Studebaker Country. We pulled into Dover Downs and there were more Studebakers than Brand X cars waiting to check in. Within minutes we found 10 old friends in the hotel lobby. Just like coming home again. Enjoy the week everyone.

Stu Chapman

Geigs
07-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I'll be there on Wednesday! It's my first year as a SDC member and I'm in the hunt for my first Studebaker. I'll be bringing cash, so hopefully I will find my dream boat. Worst case scenario is that I get to see a lot of nice cars and meet some wonderful people.

raoul5788
07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm selling t-shirts for the 2016 International in Warwick RI. Come on by and say hi!

stude1964
07-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm getting my '64 wagon ready this afternoon to leave early Wed. AM. I'll bring some parts to get gone with Jim Kranak. Have a safe trip all! See you in Dover!
Rob in PA.

R_David
07-01-2014, 06:43 PM
35998Been here for three days and finally saw a 61 Hawk, and guess who owns it?? Weird, the picture wasn't sideways when I uploaded it...