Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG: This "1958" video will drive us nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG: This "1958" video will drive us nuts!

I've only watched this once, quickly, and saw only one Studebaker; a truck parked on a side street at 00:49. Certainly there are others; how many can we find, and where are they?

Authentic footage from back when things were a little simpler. If you look closely you will see me driving my Thunderbird on Riverside Drive not far from Bo...

If nothing else, this video proves a point in my up-coming September 2014 Hemmings Classic Car column, about Plymouth's remarkable market penetration in 1957; 9.95%, to be exact...almost one in every ten new cars sold in The United States in 1957 was a Plymouth! They're everywhere in this video.

Also, the video says 1958, but it would have had to be awfully late in the 1958 calendar year to have had several new 1959 models in it, such as the 1959 Chevrolets, Fords, and at least one Oldsmobile. I suspect it was made in late 1959 or 1960, in reality, since a Corvair may be seen. Definitely not any time in 1958, for sure.

Enjoy...and find some more Studebakers, will 'ya? This is embarrassing! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM. Reason: clarified probable date of the video
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hmmm - I am going to guess the middle car parked in the side lot next to the Richfield service station at 2:51 or so is a '52 hardtop - but just a guess. Wonder if someone was testing out having bright light shine directly at the camera, which filters worked the best getting a good picture...

Comment

Reminded my wife of riding in the third row seat of her
      Father's 1958 Ford station wagon.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I saw a Corvair against the curb at one point!
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

47-52 going opposite direction,right side of screen,at 3:19 ?
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Lot's of familiar sights there in old L.A. but wow this Photographer must be named "FLASH"! That is one Fast moving movie!

You know Bob the odd thing about those '57 Plymouths is that their survival rate has to be one of the Worst, they were terrible cars and few survived.
            They had one of the Best Engines and the Worst quality Bodies EVER.

They sure made a comeback though with that "Advanced" '57 Design after their poor showing in '55 being beaten out of 3rd. by Buick!
            That Advanced Design thing was something Studebaker never seemed to be able to sell.

I did spot a "Studebaker" Mercedes though, behind 2 Caddies, it looks like a 190SL.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              I've only watched this once, quickly, and saw only one Studebaker; a truck parked on a side street at 00:49. Certainly there are others; how many can we find, and where are they?

Enjoy...and find some more Studebakers, will 'ya? This is embarrassing! BP
              Don't worry Bob- anytime now Craig will likely post one or more of the multiple threads where we've seen this video before (I think in Hugger's?) and they'll show where folks had lengthy discussions about what they saw.

I've looked for them myself, but lack of good thread titles has made them tough to find.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Interesting, Dave. I had not seen this video before, so maybe it went "through" here some time back.

Anyway, it looks like it must be late 1959 at the earliest, since a Corvair has been sighted.

Correct-O on 1957 Plymouths, Rich; one of the finer drive trains packaged beneath one of the poorest-integrity bodies ever. This would be duplicated in 1973-1975 by Chevrolet and GMC pickups...so rust-prone the OEM drive train could service four or five bodies in its life, right?

BTW, many of those 1973-1975 truck body panels were stamped here in Indianapolis at the large GM Fabrication plant that closed a couple years ago when the UAW wouldn't accept pay cuts to stay open. More than one fellow who worked there at the time has related stories to me about "that cheap Japanese steel they were buying," arriving in cold rolls that so quickly rusted they had to spend an inordinate amount of time de-rusting them enough to run them through the presses.

The bodies fabricated from such material would tend to support that claim, no? BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wouldn't jump on the best drivetrain band wagon....My father bought a 57 Fury new, and the 3Speed transmission was in his words "the size of a coconut" and broke quite readily. After a year, the polysphere engine was burning oil.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I might be totally out of my tree here but I've heard the MoPar 3-speed manual gearboxes also were used on the Hemi's & that they were the same from L-head 6's to the Hemi's.
                    (& I'm happy to be Swdish since we had those cars put together here & in a way that made them being scraped out only for the reason of being considired old-looking...)

Comment

Yep, I've been down a few of those roads when I lived out there! I've also had a "few" adult type beverages at the Money Tree! <G>

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Interesting, Dave. I had not seen this video before, so maybe it went "through" here some time back.
                        Bob, I don't recall seeing it before, either. I would have noticed the Corvair, too, when it was the title says 1958. Perhaps Dave is thinking of this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=collier

Craig

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I love things like this, and I would think I'd have remembered it, too.

I do recognize the Hollywood Blvd video; I've seen it several times and it has been around awhile. BP

Comment

The 1957 Plymouth had three different grilles during the model year. The first had six large vertical slots under the bumper. As an interim fix, the next design added a vertical chrome strip that divided each of the slots. The final design had twelve vertical slots. The apocryphal story I heard was that kids could get their hands stuck in the original wide slots.

Comment

Sure not many Studebaker's around that neck of the woods back then but saw about every thing else.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X