77 Avanti axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 77 Avanti axle

I believe your '77 Avanti ll would have the type 44 Dana rear axle similar to what was used in '65-'66 Studebakers....Flanged axles, with the large 'nut' style axle end play adjuster. This style flanged axle is different from the type 44 flanged used in '81-'85 Avantis, and is not to be confused with the 'special' type 44 flanged axle used in factory built Studebakers with R3-R4 equipment.

Comment

My 74 and 83 came with a Dana 44. Flanged axles so I suspect that your's is the same. I will get the axle spline count if it's important (about 30 IIRC). No C-clips.

I guess it depends on what you are putting in front of it if it's strong enough. It should take about any SBC you can throw at it. I wouldn't even get started without a posi unit and gear change so you will be into it about $900 with rebuild kit, posi unit and new gear set.

Post your exact needs and we can get more specific.

It should look like this with either 4/6 bolts holding the bearing flange to the housing.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-22-2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Comment

With your service of the limited slip differential (not sure if Avanti Motors still called it Twin Traction, but probably not PosiTraction) include a small bottle of special limited slip differential additive (GM and others sell this).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X