PDA

View Full Version : (6/17/2014) Verona Wisconsin Tornado Destroys Classic Cars (Avanti)

DEEPNHOCK
06-20-2014, 09:15 AM
http://www.channel3000.com/news/severe-weather-destroys-6-classic-cars-in-verona/26556310

gordr
06-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Ouch! Still, a lot of undamaged parts there. Looks like mostly body damage. It wouldn't surprise me to learn the frame and power train were basically unharmed. If it were my car, I'd want a cash payout from the insurance company, and then go looking for a rust-belt Avanti with bad frame rust, and make one out of two.

06-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Hard to tell, but the Avanti may not have been as badly damaged as the others.

plwindish
06-20-2014, 11:26 AM
After seeing the video, it looked not as damaged as the others, but the 3 pics above show a lot of damage on the passenger side to top. I would be sick having six cars destroyed by one tornado. The GTO really looked like it had been through the wringer from the storm as well.

Silverplate
06-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Extremely sad! Hope he had a good insurance policy.

62champ
06-20-2014, 12:22 PM
IIRC, the F5 tornado that went through Jarrell, Texas, in 1997, destroyed a place where the person had multiple tri-five Chevrolets. I believe there were some of those cars that little was found that resembled a car. The tornado also destroyed many of the bricks from the houses in an addition it went through.

My paternal grandfather was pretty scared of bad storms. On his farm he build a cellar that was half submerged. They had a form for the inside walls below grade, but none for the outside of that below grade walls. My Uncle said there are parts of the bottom of those walls that are three feet thick. In addition, they put re-bar from the ceiling to the floor and floor to ceiling joining the whole structure together.

Bordeaux Daytona
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
How sad:( I wonder if that is the same car that's been at the South Bend meets? The black inserts in the wheel covers and body color are the same.

evilhawk
06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
How sad. I wish the tornado would have spared these classic cars and went for a Honda dealership instead. These classics are getting harder to come by. Hope the owner has good insurance.

Andy R.
06-20-2014, 04:19 PM
It appears the internal roll bar did its job, at least.

Swifster
06-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Ouch! Still, a lot of undamaged parts there. Looks like mostly body damage. It wouldn't surprise me to learn the frame and power train were basically unharmed. If it were my car, I'd want a cash payout from the insurance company, and then go looking for a rust-belt Avanti with bad frame rust, and make one out of two.

Gord, the insurance company would pick the car up and sell the remains at auction. The would also tag the title as a total loss. If you keep the car, you don't get paid. If you get paid, you don't get to keep the car.

gordr
06-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Tom, some insurers here would allow you to take a cash payout for a lesser amount than the write-off value. That's what I was alluding to.

06-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Tom, some insurers here would allow you to take a cash payout for a lesser amount than the write-off value. That's what I was alluding to.That's the way it worked when my '64 Champ was totaled a few years ago. I settled for payout less a small salvage value and kept the truck.

8E45E
06-21-2014, 07:15 AM
I settled for payout less a small salvage value and kept the truck.

With a vintage vehicle, this is the best route to take, but one must be wary these days if your intentions are to put it back on the road. More and more DMV's are after the serial/VIN from the insurance companies so they cannot be re-registered, although one can obtain a state/province-issued VIN after a safety inspection.

Craig

Deaf Mute
06-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Saw this terrible news on the Big 6 River Bend Chapter's facebook page yesterday. What a loss of a beautiful R2 '63 Avanti!

63avanti.
06-21-2014, 09:41 AM
That's horrible. Always a shame to see cars or anything destroyed. Kind of scary as well as that was only 2 hours south of me.

BobPalma
06-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Boy, that is tough to look at, Jeff.

Curious that the owner and the reporterette did not mention the make or model of any of the cars. It could have added to the story. :) BP

JoeHall
06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
That's the way it worked when my '64 Champ was totaled a few years ago. I settled for payout less a small salvage value and kept the truck.
Thats the way it worked out when the wife totaled her 63GT abut 10 years ago. I put the car back together, and it is alive and well in Syracuse, NY today, with an old friend.