Power brake booster oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Power brake booster oil?

I recently found the studebaker shop manual that my uncle had in the garage at his house and I was looking through the manual and in the maintance section it showed the plug where you check the oil in the power booster that is on my 64 hawk. Maybe it's in the manual but I can not find where it says what type of oil. I have never checked it before so I figure I should. If I need to add some what do I use?

Add Neatsfoot oil through the rear plug on the vacuum chamber. I believe it's 1 oz. However unless you have a bore scope or mini camera.....you're not going to "check" the level. What you are oiling is the vacuum piston leather seal. There is a felt wick that soaks up the oil and keeps the leather from drying out and loosing vacuum. There is not a rubber diaphragm like most familiar vacuum brake boosters. Also if you should ever want to replace the booster, the Disc brake boosters are NOT interchangeable with drum brake boosters and vice-versa.
    Neatsfoot oil is available at many shoe stores, or perhaps a farm store that has saddle supplies.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the info I should probably put some oil in it soon. I also have a fresh reman booster that I could put on the car. I have been driving it on and off for about a year now and even thought it barly has had 1000 miles put on it I'm sure it has been a while since someone has added anything to the booster. It was nice finding the manual I spent about an hour looking through it.

Comment

Some years ago I fought this battle, too. I actually talked with "old" Bendix engineers, etc. FINALLY, the consensus was to use hydraulic jack oil, which I did without any untoward issues. Long after that I encountered the neatsfoot oil suggestion. All the best.

Comment

Working...
        X