PDA

View Full Version : Speedster Design Flaw?

SN-60
06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Before I installed the Hurst floor shift in my Speedster, I often wondered why the column shifter came so close to the 'overhang' or 'crash pad' area of the Speedster dashboard when shifting into second gear. More often than not my hand would hit the dash. Sitting in a '55 Commander hardtop today and shifting through the gears (column shift) I had no such problem....Reason?... I observed that the non-Speedster C/K dash isn't nearly as 'extended' in the crash pad area as a Speedster dash. Studebaker designers must have known about this issue, but so few Speedsters were built with manual transmissions that they probably didn't feel it necessary to re-design the shifting lever or make other changes....Interesting!

Gunslinger
06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Just a guess but I would think as tight as Studebaker budgets were, it doesn't seem likely they would have spent the engineering and manufacturing time and effort for such a limited edition vehicle. As you said...that most were probably automatics and so few manuals make it even less likely to spend the money.

StudeRich
06-19-2014, 04:39 PM
What about your Steering Gear? Isn't it a Saginaw Power Steering HUGE Box? I believe Those have a different Column Jacket and possibly shaft length, than a non-Power Car which most basic 55's Standard Trans. were.

SN-60
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
What about your Steering Gear? Isn't it a Saginaw Power Steering HUGE Box? I believe Those have a different Column Jacket and possibly shaft length, than a non-Power Car which most basic 55's Standard Trans. were.

I'd guess that the relative position of the shift bowl and steering wheel would be the same on P/S and Non P/S equipped C/K's Rich, but for the heck of it tomorrow I'll measure the distances from the windshield base to the steering wheel on both cars and post that info. (But once again, there is a considerable difference in the 'overhang' of the crash pad section of the Speedster and the Non-Speedster dashboards.)

SN-60
06-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Thinking about Rich's idea, tonight I checked the position of the steering wheel and shift bowl on these two cars...'55 Commander "K' hardtop with standard shift and manual steering....and '55 President Speedster "K" with standard shift and power steering. The position of the steering wheel to the base of windshield, approx 10", was the same on both cars, and the position of the shift bowl relative to the face of dash, about 8", was also approx. the same on both cars....So the length of the column itself (as well as the steering shaft) may be different, but ends up at the same position in the vehicles....Clear as mud?

StudeRich
06-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Glad you cleared that one up Ed, we could have stayed awake for a week wondering about THAT one! :lol:

57pack
06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Way back in the 1980's, my neighbor purchased a brand new Peugeot 505. This car had a annoying small defect.
With the car in park, you couldn't eject or insert a cassette. Gear shifter blocked the radio-cassette player.:o

mmagic
06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
The position of the steering wheel to the base of windshield, approx 10", was the same on both cars, and the position of the shift bowl relative to the face of dash, about 8".....

Thank you for this information. I operated on best guess in positioning, repositioning again and again of my Astro column into my Speedster. Heck, I was just worried about getting it in and connected to the new box and not doing any unnecessary modifications to the column firewall plate.... figured I could come back to that if I had to once the seats and everything was in.

Just measured, and it is exactly 10" windshield to wheel !!! I'll sleep tonight.

warrlaw1
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Just loosen the clamp holding the column in and it'll drop right into your lap. Learned that the hard way (lol).

SN-60
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Thank you for this information. I operated on best guess in positioning, repositioning again and again of my Astro column into my Speedster. Heck, I was just worried about getting it in and connected to the new box and not doing any unnecessary modifications to the column firewall plate.... figured I could come back to that if I had to once the seats and everything was in.

Just measured, and it is exactly 10" windshield to wheel !!! I'll sleep tonight.

From one President Speedster owner to another....You're entirely welcome!:)

studegary
06-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I believe that this comes about because when the Speedster dash pad was designed, it was planned for all Speedsters to be automatic transmission.