PDA

View Full Version : Newbie things I'd like to see...

SweetSixtyn
06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
For a newbie there are some basic things that we all seem to ask. If these could all be in one place it would reduce the number of duplicate requests on the forum. I think the Stude Nat'l Museum should make a Studebaker Secret Decoder Book available for each model year.

What do the codes on the firewall tag mean?
How do I decode the paint and upholstery codes on my factory production order form?
Is there a way to decode which dealership the vehicle was delivered to?
Is there a key code translation I can give my locksmith to make keys from?

I also think separating out the "Wanted" and "For Sale" posts into there own discussions would be exceptionally helpful. I know I'm a pain but it's very helpful on the old GMC trucks forum I'm a member of. Much less digging around to find parts or offer up parts to other members.

Just a thought.

rockne10
06-18-2014, 12:09 PM
These items would correctly fall under the "Tech Tips" page of this web site and, some of it may already be available there.

Pat Dilling
06-18-2014, 12:33 PM
The Tech Tips that rockne10 is referring to is listed under the Resources tab on the main SDC webpage. Firewall tag decoding is also located there along with other specifications. Here is a direct link. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp I think there would be value in providing a direct link to it from the top of the forum pages as well.

As for For Sale and Wanted posts, I believe the thought is they do not want to conflict with the income generating ads in Turning Wheels. For an unofficial resource check out the Studebaker Swap page located here: http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php.

Hope this all helps.

Roscomacaw
06-18-2014, 12:44 PM
The body tags tell what model a particular body tub was destined to be. That's on the top line of the tag. The second line tells what that particular tubs sequence was in the weld-up of the particular model revealed in the top line.

The paint codes are searchable on line or in old paint supply catalogs. The upholstery codes - with a bit of thought - can be figured out. For instance BKV would indicate Black Vinyl.

Dealer destinations weren't noted on production orders UNLESS a car was being built AT the request of a given dealer. A bigger part of the time the cars were built for "stock", and then sent to distribution lots before being given to dealers. I think there are some records of who got what, but someone else will have to address that.

There are key codes on production orders, but I doubt that local locksmiths have them or can interpret them in this day and age. A REAL locksmith can change locks to suit your needs. But real locksmiths are getting harder to find as time goes on.

rockne10
06-18-2014, 08:43 PM
The Tech Tips that rockne10 is referring to is listed under the Resources tab on the main SDC webpage.... I think there would be value in providing a direct link to it from the top of the forum pages as well.
I think most folks who are searching for Studebaker information through their favorite search engines land on the forum. It is such a huge and instant resource. Their impression is this is the home base of all things Studebaker; not realizing the forum is just one aspect of the huge resource that has been constructed by the Studebaker Drivers Club to aid us all.
If everyone would first explore here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp a lot of us would be redundant.
Okay! Nevermind! Ignore any suggestions I may have just made. :D

SweetSixtyn
06-19-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't think I got my point across very well. The reason for all this would be to avoid bouncing all over the site looking for information - although that can be fun too. A single reference area for decoding would be great. This would be the 'first stop' for everyone getting into Stude. Obviously the SDC and the forum are the biggest reference and information pools available with a few other very good sites - normally from SDC members. I've already met people and bought and sold parts through the Studebaker Swap Page.

If the Turning Wheel magazine sold a reference book it could be a source of income. On the GMC forum we pitch in donations to cover hosting the forum bandwidth. We also have a member only section that is only accessible to donating members. Membership in the SDC could cover access to the reference section. There are many ways to do it but having all the reference material in one location would be nice.

Maybe I should just be quiet?

dean pearson
06-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Your Doing Just Fine. Nothing Wrong With Fresh Ideas.

Quiet?
Your Doing Fine There Too,..... Text Has No Sound.

Dean.

jackb
06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I recall somewhere an info piece on "things to do"....when you 1st get a Stude.....easy to add to it...until it's 10 pages long....

Anne F. Goodman
06-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Hello I see you are in Central California. We have a Chapter here in Fresno Ca The San Joaquin Valley Chapter we meet once a month at Sevens Restaurant Minnewawa & Shaw second Tuesday at 6pm for dinner meeting starts at 7pm. Our July meeting is our annual BBQ at a club members house. So we would be back T sevens in August. Drop by anytime. all our contact info is in the Chapter Listings. We also have a Website http://www.sdcsanjoaquinvalleychapter.com/

rockne10
06-19-2014, 01:08 PM
I recall somewhere an info piece on "things to do"....when you 1st get a Stude.....
Jack,
That's one of those items available under the "Resources" & "Tech Tips" from our home page.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp

StudeRich
06-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Very interesting thoughts from a newbie here, it is good to get a different prospective than most of us "LIFERS" have.

It is coincidental to me that you mentioned the Chev./GMC Truck Forum. I as a newbie there two days ago found myself wondering why some things there were easy, but a lot of others were not!

The FIRST thing I noticed is that there are SO many Members there that most posts go UNANSWERED! :mad:
The WHOLE Pg. 1 dropped off to Pg. 2 in just HOURS!

That would almost never happen here!
Once in while someone here asks for a '87 Avanti trim piece or something SOOO impossible to find and limited in original production that you have to buy a CAR to get it, and not many of us have a clue, so stay quiet.

My request for the un-obtainium Rear Brake Self Adjuster Kit for a Dana 60, Coil Spring Rear, 12 Inch Drum Brake 1970 GMC 2500 R/Hand Kit or Lever and Tip, was unanswered until ONE Big Vendor said sorry NLA!

We practically Never have Mechanical Part NLA issues with much Older Studebakers, only Body/Trim.

I joined the '47 to present Chev GMC Forum group to find that you can join Free, but if you want to PLACE a Wanted or For Sale Ad, it appears you need to PAY! All I could do is tack onto (respond) to some vendors F/S Post and ask about a different part than advertised to get it online!

So an overloaded Forum without CARING Members can be a Bad thing! :(

What we lack in cool charts and posted Info, Specs, and Decoding, we have in caring Members who do actually KNOW and Care! :!:

rockne10
06-19-2014, 08:51 PM
So an overloaded Forum without CARING Members can be a Bad thing! :(
What we lack in cool charts and posted Info, Specs, and Decoding, we have in caring Members who do actually KNOW and Care! :!:

To that point, Rich; my observation was that the resources some expect to find in a forum requires that forum to be the root of all resources.
This Studebaker forum is just a branch. Here's the tree> http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp :)

SweetSixtyn
06-20-2014, 10:04 AM
StudeRich, Which Chevy/GMC forum did you go on? I go on OLDGMCTRUCKS.com It's not an open forum. You have to register just to see the posts. It's 'smaller,' though still worldwide like the SDC forum. The people here are very much like the SDC forum. No crap like joke forums and stuff like that. Just old Chevy and GMC stuff. They keep the politics and bashing moderated very well. There are some amazingly knowledgeable people just like here. You still have to bounce around and ask lots of questions but I guess that's just a given. I do like that they have separate Wanted and For Sale sections because I can quickly scan for a part I need or list a part for sale. And boy have I needed both over the years!

Rockne10, I checked the SDC homepage and the Stude Nat'l Museum before coming to the forum. Lots of info but I didn't know what I was looking at. Once I got to the forum the sky parted and "ahhhhhhh'. I began bouncing all over with the info I found. I like decoding info in one spot though. It's my downfall. I'm pretty good at research though. I even found the serial number cutoff, in the Master Parts Book, to determine if your GMC truck was a 1954 or the early (3 months of production) 1955 referred to as a 1stSeries. Nobody had ever found a specific determining factor before.

I think you have the Root and the Branch reversed though. Maybe kind of a chicken or egg thing. I think the forum is the root because it is - interactive. Once tapped into the root you find that the branches of info grow out from there such as the SDC home page, the Stude Swap Page, the Stude Nat'l Museum, Ray-Lin Restoration, Classic Enterprises, Stude Parts Online, Stude Int'l, Chapter meets, other vendors and it all circles back to the members of the forum.

I'll just keep digging around the Stude world and keep meeting cool people here. No BS and I've only been bashed once. :eek: :!!:

SweetSixtyn
06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Hello I see you are in Central California. We have a Chapter here in Fresno Ca The San Joaquin Valley Chapter we meet once a month at Sevens Restaurant Minnewawa & Shaw second Tuesday at 6pm for dinner meeting starts at 7pm. Our July meeting is our annual BBQ at a club members house. So we would be back T sevens in August. Drop by anytime. all our contact info is in the Chapter Listings. We also have a Website http://www.sdcsanjoaquinvalleychapter.com/

We went to the Sac meet because we get up there more often than the Fresno area. But we will come down and check out a Fresno meet. I might even be able to get my daughter to say hello. She can be a bit shy sometimes.