Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: motor mounts

Hi guys,
    What I have is a 1951 2R5 which had the original 6 banger replaced with a 63 or 64- 289 cruiser engine, I was told.
    As can be seen in the attached, the motor mounts are beat. They look like homemade bolt on items.
    Can anyone provide information on the correct mount(s) to use ?
    Thxs
    Oldguy51

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-stude motor mounts (17).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1744133Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-stude motor mounts (8).jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1744134Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-stude motor mounts (12).jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1744135Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-stude motor mounts (15).jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1744136Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-stude motor mounts (19).jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1744137Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-51 STUD- (56).jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1744138

The motor mounts are common Ford mounts from 1932-48, you can buy them from Speedway and others, cheep. The brackets, on the other hand are a little crude, to be kind.

Comment

Couldn't you use mounts from a 55 or newer truck V8?
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Neil, There are no mounts to corespond to the V8 on any frame older than 55. It is the frame mount that is missing. This is 55 and newer, don't have pics pf the earlier frame.

[/URL]

Comment

Your Motor Mount BRACKETS are just a bunch of homemade steel pieces, totally WRONG for a Truck.
          Both the Front and Rear Mounts are two piece upper and lower Cushions that sit on Cast Iron "Legs" that are quite tall, about 6 Inches to raise the engine to center the Fan in the Radiator and get proper Driveshaft angle, and Trucks use a riser Water Pump Manifold to help do that.

So the bottom line here is, this was a jury rigged improper CAR setup and IF it even has a proper Truck Clutch Housing it most likely is not "Dialed in" to center the Crank center on the Trans. Input Shaft.

Later Truck Engine Mount Brackets, Engine Mounts for all FOUR, Truck Clutch Housing and a Truck water Manifold could be made to fit an earlier frame with a bit of welding I believe. You may need a Parts Truck to make a Good V8.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry you haven't gotten the correct reply yet. There is a Studebaker bracket that bolts to the block with a cushion underneath. This bolts to an existing hole on the diagonal frame members. The early 49s didn't have the diagonal frame members so I don't know if my answer applies to them. You do need the brackets made for the truck V8 installation and the raised centerline waterpump manifold. This will center the fan in the radiator shroud (if you have a stock one). Pose your query for the correct brackets on the Studebaker Truck forum listed under other links. The correct brackets are a bolt in with no welding required. Given time I could probably come up with the Studebaker part numbers but you will probably have to get the brackets from an old truck.

Norm

Comment

The brackets have stamped on them 2671 L, for the drivers side. And 2671 R or the pass. side.
              P/N 1692474 Right and 1692475 Left.
              Last edited by Alan; 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Hey Oldguy...try Russ at http://www.canadianstudebaker.com/ in Campbellford he has parts
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Does the 1961 "T" cab truck V8 have the correct brackets.
                  I am stripping out a 1961 "T" cab if anyone is interested.
                  Robert Kapteyn
                  studebaker@mac.com
                  Put Studebaker in the subject line ,otherwise your email goes to "trash"

Comment

Yes, Check against the pic. and numbers above.

Comment

Alans statement is not correct. I have put Studebaker V8's in '49 and '53 pickups. I used the V8 mounts, bellhousing, transmission from a '55 pickup to put the V8 in those. No drilling or fabrication required!!! All the mounts align to existing frame engine and bellhousing supports. You just need to have the correct Studebaker V8 truck parts.

Comment

Originally posted by StudegaryB View Post
                        Alans statement is not correct. I have put Studebaker V8's in '49 and '53 pickups. I used the V8 mounts, bellhousing, transmission from a '55 pickup to put the V8 in those. No drilling or fabrication required!!! All the mounts align to existing frame engine and bellhousing supports. You just need to have the correct Studebaker V8 truck parts.
                        I missed that Alan referenced the picture. Those high brackets on the diagonals don't exist on the earlier frames. I don't know if the part numbers Alan gave were for the brackets that bolt to the engine block for the earlier setup or are related to the picture brackets. As I and StudegaryB stated, with the right engine block brackets, there isn't any fabrication or welding required. You do need the high center water pump manifold.

Comment

No, Those numbers correspond to the brackets welded to the frame. With those you use all the 55 up truck parts on the motor.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the parts and installation for the 49-54? years. I'll add more once I make sure these are going through. I may have to save as reduced file sizes to get to attach.

Name:	P3120060.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1691108Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250013.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1691109

Comment

Looks like it worked so here are a few more. The brackets are right and left hand mirror configurations. I think you can read the bushing part numbers from the photos.

Name:	P3120061.jpg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1691110Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250014.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1691111Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090516.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB