Wheel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel color

Does anyone know a pretty good match for the off-white that was used on wheels for 1964-1966 cars? I'd like to be able to repaint mine using an off-the-shelf spray can of paint. Something about the dirty white, and black pleeling off with white showing through on my wheels just doesn't appeal to me.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I believe S-I sells spray cans...

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks, but I don't want to pay $10 in shipping for a $4 can of paint. I was hoping to find something local....
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

In an earlier post (either here or on the Avanti/AOAI site) someone said Ford's Wimbledon White was a close match.

Back in the early 70's my mom bought us kids a new Pinto in that color. My memory tells me it's whiter than Stude wheels should be...but I could be wrong.

The good news is... it should be available at any large NAPA..and they have paint books so yopu can take a look.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Another color to use, and I've already tried on my Avanti rims, is Rustoleum Canvas White. I tried a few places and most don't stock it. You have to order it. I ordered 4 cans, used 2, to paint the rims. they were around $4 or so per can...

Comment

Those sound like good ones to look at. Any others?

Comment

The Ford Wimbledon White is a close match to the 62-63 wheel color. 64 was more of a "refrigerator white."

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

By the way, this is for my 1966 Cruiser. Right now a couple wheels are whitish yellow with a few little rusty dots and one is black, and one is peeling black over old white.

Comment

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the Dupont mix for the wheels:

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

that reminds me, I have a formula for that weird tan/grey/pinkish interior trim on a '55... need to dig that out and post it. I painted the surrounds for my rear quarter windows on Saturday and they came out pretty well. Had it color matched at my local Sherwin-Williams in their "industrial enamel" (cheaper than automotive paint) and it came out fine.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hey Dan White! Great find!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Does anyone know a pretty good match for the off-white that was used on wheels for 1964-1966 cars? I'd like to be able to repaint mine using an off-the-shelf spray can of paint. Something about the dirty white, and black pleeling off with white showing through on my wheels just doesn't appeal to me.
                        I have recommeded Sherwin-Williams Antigue White spray can to match the '63 and on off-white wheels. However, just recently I noticed that there is a slight difference between the South Bend white rim and the Canadian one. This picture sort of illustrates the difference.

All these rims pictured are '64s. The one on the right is an original Hamilton white rim. The one in the middle is a MoPar 6" rim painted with Sherwin-Williams Antique White. The one on the left is an original South Bend rim.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

search on "43 paintable" to get most current info.

Terry, North Texas
                          1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                          (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                          This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                          2000 VW Jetta GLS
                          1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

search on "43" to get most current info.

Terry, North Texas
                            1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                            (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                            This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                            2000 VW Jetta GLS
                            1999 Toyota rice burner
                            Searching for "43" got me 18 pages. However, I went to your postings and found the 43 paintable items post including the wheel color info. I had seen that before, but my point was at least some of the South Bend 64's apparently used the earlier creamy color while the Hamilton '64s used the brighter white (the two Studebaker rims in my picture were both original 64s). The Sherwin-William on the MoPar rim (from my '64 wagon) matches the brighter white better than the creamier color

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've found PPG 8378 as the code for Wimbledon White used on Ford, Mercury, Lincoln and Ford trucks from '72-'87. Who can confirm?

Comment

Working...
                              X