PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Heat Riser Valve

Boehm
06-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Good Morning
My 1964 Wagonaire with a 289 has an exhaust leak coming from a small pin hole on the heat riser valve.
What does the valve do, and can the small hole be fixed with J-B Weld? The hole is a perfect circle and 3/32 in diameter. How do I know if the valve is working, I can more the lever and the spring looks ok.
Thanks for any answers. Steve from WI.

StudeRich
06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
If the small hole is the end of the rotating shaft for the butterfly inside you can not "Seal" it without seizing the Valve.
The "Body" is solid Steel, I do not see it having a hole burned through it.

There will always be a slight leakage out of the shaft because it has to have clearance to move. The Counter Weight should be pointed straight UP when cold and closed, Forward when Hot and Open.

If it is damaged somehow, it is best to buy a New one from a Studebaker Vendor at: http://studebakervendors.com

On the other hand, if a lot of exhaust is being forced out of a tiny opening between the shaft, end washer and the body of the casting you may have a serious RESTRICTION in the Exhaust System forcing it out! :ohmy:

Test it by pushing it all the way forward to see if there is spring tension on it as there should be and that it moves freely to open and springs back to Closed.

The Valve's purpose is to cause exhaust heat to flow from the right exhaust manifold across the Intake Manifold to the Left Exhaust Manifold to heat the Carb. when cold, and mainly to heat the Automatic Choke for easy starting and fast idle when cold.

It also is what prevents Rich running when warm by heating the Automatic Choke to pull it off when warm.

It is necessary for good running, much more important when the Temps are colder and in Cold Climates.

Sorry, I did not intend to post all of Chapter 12 in the Auto Mechanics 101 textbook! :D

stude1964
06-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Yes check with Stude vendors. I replaced one in a car some time ago with one from a '67 Cadillac I had picked up at a flea market. Worked fine!
Rob in PA.

avantibngrant
06-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Someone posted a Ford Part number which worked well about 2 weeks ago. I should have saved it in my Avanti excel sheet, but did not. If you do a search, it should show up.

Neil

64V-K7
06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Here it is..

http://www.studebaker-info.org/parts/2014/C5TZ-9A427-A.html

63t-cab
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Steve, I sent You a PM. " blue bar upper right corner "

avantibngrant
06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
If there is a special spot in Studebaker heaven, I think Bob has long ago secured it! Thank you for all you do to help us all.
neil