Here's another "interesting" customized Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's another "interesting" customized Studebaker

I've always wondered why the only customized Studebakers out there that are posted to this forum are not very attractive. Are there only customized Studebaker nightmares on the internet, or is it just good "sport" to search until one is found that is sure to be ridiculed?

So I took a look. Lo and behold, I found more tastefully done ones (at least to me) than the ones that show up here.

Since one goal of this site (I think) is to promote Studebakering of all kinds (stock, modified, customs, drivers, show cars, projects, etc), I thought it might be good to post some of the more attractive (to me) Studebaker custom and modified cars and trucks.

I'll do that periodically. Of course they will not all be universally accepted. Just as some here favor pre war Studes and not Avantis, or C'Ks, but not 4 door Larks, there will be some who find what I post attractive and some (I hope) that will post one that THEY think is attractive.

Here's my first.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 06-14-2014, 12:21 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Boy! Someone spent some MONEY on that one.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think that you hit on something.
      The last two custom/modified Studebakers that I sold (both posted on eBay) were not discussed on this Forum. Perhaps that means that they were acceptable to those that pick apart cars here.
      There is a C body with a top chop and many other modifications currently on eBay. I like most of it, but like any modified car, there are things that I wouldn't do the same, like the Porsche headlights. Overall, I like it enough that I was the high bidder on it for some time.
      The car that you posted looks GREAT to me. It looks like a picture and not a real car. If it is a real car, I would love to own it, but probably not at the price that it would take. Many that sell restored or modified cars expect to get everything that they put into it back out of it. What is in it does not determine value.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That one is a beauty...it was featured on the 'My Classic Car' TV show last year...Dennis Gage took it for a spin. Has 1000HP engine (dual turbos)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          It looks like a picture and not a real car.
          Presentation is everything. Studio photos such as these ones makes a big difference than they would it it was taken at a show & shine randomly parked amongst other cars with spectators running around.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
            Boy! Someone spent some MONEY on that one.
            If he wrote checks to have it built...yes. If he is as talented as some who hang out here...maybe not so much.

Same goes with high end restorations. Pay to have them done...big bucks. With the right talent, shop, equipment, etc...it can be done more reasonably.

Studegary is correct, however. In very few cases should one expect to get their money back if they sell one modified/restored to this level...even if you do it yourself and don't put a value on your time.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thats very far from a stock one, but still has all the great lines of a 53-54. I'd give it a 100 in my 0 to 100 grade.
              I feel sorry for people that only like only stock or just modified, you sure miss out on a lot of great cars.
              That's like only staying on one side of the Mississippi river.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                Thats very far from a stock one, but still has all the great lines of a 53-54. I'd give it a 100 in my 0 to 100 grade.
                I feel sorry for people that only like only stock or just modified, you sure miss out on a lot of great cars.
                That's like only staying on one side of the Mississippi river.
                Been away from a computer for a day (or so). Came home and found this thread. I highlighted the thing in your quote above that stood out to me. The difference in this one and many that get trashed on this forum is in how classy this one is built. I did not hesitate to click on the thread, however, 'cause I knew that if Steinkamp approved...it had to be something special. The guy has an eye for "class" and great work.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Its pretty nice but not an improvement over the original design.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Even the very best fabricator/artisan cannot produce a fine vehicle with only their tools and skill. Supplies, materials, and "stock" do not come cheaply. Priced any professional top-o-the-line paint supplies recently? A fine, professional-quality, finished vehicle will cost in some currency or another.

And, as for asking price when offered for sale? One can always come down, but I've known more than one person who shot what they thought to be a "silly" high price to an interested individual and found it accepted without question or haggling.

As for what some SDC members do or do not find "acceptable"--here or in general--there are still those who would not want a single nut or bolt replaced... on any Studebaker--and probably always will be (though fewer and fewer with the passing decades)! The stories I could tell!!! But, fortunately most here are more accepting. It was only such overwhelming approval for such Studes that permitted the creation of the Modified and Custom section in Turning Wheels, originally--to the utter and complete consternation of the ultrapurists (my term).
                    Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-14-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I've seen that before, I think in a magazine feature.

Somehow it doesn't do it for me, I can't say exactly why, but it doesn't.

Obviously it's all well done and high dollar and it still doesn't do it for me.

I much prefer S2D for instance.
                      Last edited by johnod; 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

When I look at this, I see a 2015 Studebaker.

I Love it..

It has a very modern and aggressive look. If this car were in production today, it would be hard to keep on the showroom.

What I find EXTREMELY irritating is those who think cars are ONLY meant to be kept the way they were made. Aftermarket parts for modern cars is BIG Business.

People have always like to take a car and make it their own. Customizing a ride dates back to the Roman's and their chariots!

If Jack Roush was providing aftermarket upgrades in the 50's, there would be many Studebaker owners crying, why doesn't Roush make it for my car.

If you're happy with an off the floor car, really, "I love you man!" So don't flame a guy with a vision or adventure to do something different

Comment

Another example of how a Stude custom can be done well. Dick's Kart Hauler is probably the best example I have ever seen, with Pat Dilling's STU COOL and Steve Hudson's convertible right there, also. For what it's worth, our custom was swarmed at the recent La Palma meet in Anaheim and voted People's Choice out of 104 Studes.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                            For what it's worth, our custom was swarmed at the recent La Palma meet in Anaheim and voted People's Choice out of 104 Studes.
                            Congrats, Tim

Tim's Kustom is a text book example of a well done 50's customized Studebaker. Tim did an outstanding job of returning this car to it's glory days...in fact, I'm sure it is FAR BETTER than when it was initially customized. In addition, the car has been in Tim's family forever. He has the complete history on the car. That provenience is priceless.

Here's the car at La Palma this year (thanks to Jim Koch)...

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

This. This car looks exactly like what a "retro" '53 hardtop by Studebaker would look like if Studebaker were still in business. And I can't speak for others here, but I can tell you that I don't go trolling through eBay or Craigslist looking for gosh-awful customs to make fun of. Fact: I saw that yellow thing at Portland in April, and took pictures of it, but didn't post them here. But if somebody does post pics of a gosh-awful custom, I will feel free to critique it. Likewise if someone post pics of a real nice one. Hey! I just did that, didn't I?
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X