Fuse location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Fuse location

Well I haven't put anything on here in a VERY long time, nor have I looked at this forum. Shame on me, you guys helped me out before.

I have a 56 2dr sedan Champion. I just had the transmission and overdrive looked at because I couldn't shift into overdrive so could not drive over 40-45 mph. Mechanic does a lot of classic cars and was referred to me so I gave him a shot.

I got the car back last Friday and he showed me hoe to work overdrive. YEAH!! I drove car that night all was good. I got the car out today to drive and all seemed ok but after a few miles overdrive would not kick in again. .

Also I noticed that my turn indicators are also not working now. They were earlier because I used them and saw the indicator on dash blinking.

My question is where are the fuses for these and is it the same fuse? It is suppose to be a pretty day and I want to show off the car today.

I appreciate any assistance I can get.

Found this directional signal wiring scheme, maybe it is of some help. Other will surely chime in soon.

http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/5...enger-car.html

Regards
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have the service manual, but when I look under dash I can not see any fuse box or block.

I hope I do not have to pull instrument panel to find it.

Comment

Fuse for the overdrive most years should be on the overdrive relay mounted on the firewall under the hood.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Your problem is most likely NOT a fuse, but it's good to check.

If your Turn Signals, Radio, Heater, Wipers and Overdrive are not functional, it is because the Ignition Switch has an "Open" position in it and has failed, wiggling it, may TEMPORALLY fix it, indicating it is toast.

FYI, there IS no "Fuse Block". The O.D. Fuse is under the hood on the Relay and the Turn Signal Fuse is on a small Insulator Board under the dash on the Left with the Dome Light & Stop Light Fuse and the Signal Light FLASHER unit.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I found the fuse for the turn indicator with the flasher assembly as you stated (StudeRich). It was Blown so I replaced it. I did however have to take out the instrument panel to find it. I checked it in driveway before I re-installed dash panel and they worked.

I found what I think is the O/D relay mounted on firewall (41 Frank). The fuse did not look blown but also did not look right (it was bowed in the middle) so I replaced it.

Thinking ok, now I should be good. I take car out and still no O/D and also turn indicators are not working again. To late to check fuse again, but I am assuming it is blown again.

So if s there a way to test the Ignition switch or should I just order one and replace it??

Comment

Originally posted by 57studechampion View Post
              Thanks guys for the info. I found the fuse for the turn indicator with the flasher assembly as you stated (StudeRich). It was Blown so I replaced it. I did however have to take out the instrument panel to find it. I checked it in driveway before I re-installed dash panel and they worked.

I found what I think is the O/D relay mounted on firewall (41 Frank). The fuse did not look blown but also did not look right (it was bowed in the middle) so I replaced it.

Thinking ok, now I should be good. I take car out and still no O/D and also turn indicators are not working again. To late to check fuse again, but I am assuming it is blown again.

So if s there a way to test the Ignition switch or should I just order one and replace it??
              Send me a P.M.
              I live in Louisville and perhaps I can help you with these issues.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by 57studechampion View Post
                /Cut/So if s there a way to test the Ignition switch or should I just order one and replace it??
                This is one very EASY way to find out:

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                /Cut/If your Turn Signals, Radio, Heater, Wipers and Overdrive are not functional, it is because the Ignition Switch has an "Open" position in it and has failed, wiggling it, may TEMPORALLY fix it, indicating it is toast./Cut/
                Turn the Ign. on and the Left Turn Signal, then wiggle the key back and forth very slowly between "OFF" and "Ign. ON" and see if the indicators flash.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

John

I sent you a PM. I hope it went through. If it didn't please leave me another message here and I will send again.

Comment

Working...
                  X