1950 Studebaker, standard to Auto conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Studebaker, standard to Auto conversion

What tranny/etc do I need to convert my 1950 Commander to an automatic? Its a rusty derilict, so I want be destoying anything much, its currently an OD car.

Best to find someone trying to do the more popular swap the other way. You'll need lots of parts including another rear end ratio, steering column, driveshaft and lots more.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $58,185.77
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 Scotsman
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The '50 Studebaker was the first to offer automatic. It was a Borg Warner Detroit Gear DG200; pretty much bullet proof. JDP is correct. It won't just bolt in.
      The DG200 was a second gear start. For a first gear start you could go to a later Flight-o-matic.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That would be a little hard to do since the Flight-O-Matic was never mated to a Commander Big "6", where are you going to get a Converter Housing or a converter? [:0]

Remember guys, staghorn916 said this is a beater rustbucket car, so I don't see him dumping $3000.00 in this thing to make it an Automatic, then what would you have,...a very slow 6 cyl. Automatic worth about $200.00? [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

For a first gear start you could go to a later Flight-O-Matic.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Brad, there were some DGs that started out in 1st and I'm not talking JUST the 55 DG-250 either. The '54 Champion had 1st gear start as well as both Champions AND Commander/Presidents in '55. Probably the '56 Champions too.

Edit: I will also chime in here that this would be taking the car down in overall performance in my opinion. It's NOT just a matter of shifting manually vs. the automatic. Performance (read that Driveability AND Economy) is gonna suffer significantly by degrading to automatic.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

WAS there a handle (knob) under the dash or did you have to improvise a way to get the hood open?[?]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ok, well sounds more complicated than the car is worth. I opened the hood today for the first time in probably decades (the hood release was broken). This was probably a good thing, the engine compartment looks like a time capsule, the firewall is still nice and green and everything is complete. Its a shame the rest of the car is so neglected.

Comment

I just worked on a '50 Landcruiser with an auto and did a lot of research. That bell housing and torque converter are unique to that one engine: the big 6 and an automatic. It is a fantastically engineered setup but that isn't important here. Making it work is and you would just about need a complete donor car, and only a commander or landcruiser would work, not a champion. The adjustments are all critical and require the factory tools. I would seriously discourage that kind of a conversion on that particular car.
                Rob

Comment

quote:That would be a little hard to do since the Flight-O-Matic was never mated to a Commander Big "6"
                  My bad. I was thinking I had put a FOM behind the engine in my '53 without remembering I had already changed the engine to 289.[B)] The DG was used in the Commander six.
                  quote:Brad, there were some DGs that started out in 1st and I'm not talking JUST the 55 DG-250 either.
                  Agreed, but I was referring only to the 200.
                  quote:the engine compartment looks like a time capsule, the firewall is still nice and green and everything is complete
                  So you'll be miles ahead by getting the existing T86/od trans working properly. I think you'll like it.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X