Another Crazy Studebaker Mod on CL - Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Crazy Studebaker Mod on CL - Portland

This strange one showed up on Portland CL.

Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

This car was at the Portland Swap Meet in April. I saw it with my own eyes. It looks way worse up close, trust me on this. Talked to the young guy selling it, tats, piercings, the whole nine yards. It was a joint project between him and his grandfather, and they were selling it to pursue another project, a race car. I am glad I didn't say anything snarky. But talk about lacking a theme. This car looks like you put half a dozen Revell model kits in a blender, and glued together the largest pieces that came out. And a lot of the bodywork is filler, too. But gee, a young guy doing a custom car with his Grandpa, how cool is that?
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Now THAT is an interesting treatment.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Rear end of this reminds me of the coupe-based pickups of the immediate prewar period that had the slide-in truck beds in the trunk. I actually sort of like the greenhouse treatment with the late-50s Buick/Olds-style dip in the bottom window profile. Overall, not my bag of chips, but yeah, the granddad/grandson collaboration is really cool...

S.

Comment

It looks like a Studebaker mated with a Henry J and this was conceived from that unholy union.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            It looks like a Studebaker mated with a Henry J and this was conceived from that unholy union.
            That's what I thought. The shape of the roof and the dip in the side reminded me of a Henry J.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Does the bungee cord hold the door shut or the shifter in?

Comment

No front bumper, plus the rear one looks like crap. Can you say "Cheap, cheap, cheap!"

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                  No front bumper, plus the rear one looks like crap. Can you say "Cheap, cheap, cheap!"
                  Well, the ad did say it was an incomplete project. This is an interesting car. I kinda want to hate it, but in reality I think I like it.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

It doesn't look bad to me except for the "pickup" box. They did a nice job matching the belt line contour to the rear fender and the wraparound rear seat looks nice and cosy. Unless it was a Starlight Coupe or Convertible, I'd call it an improvement.

My concerns would be execution of the chassis/brake mods to handle the 454.
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

I Hope No One Buys It,
                      Hate To See Them With Enough Money To Do That To Another Car.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                      X