PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II headlight rim and gasket installation

davette59
06-12-2014, 01:41 PM
I just got my headlight trim and reflectors back from the chrome shop and I'm at a loss at how it all goes together with the gaskets and all. The body shop took them apart to paint and now I just have the pieces to put back together. I ordered all of the gaskets and have them but can't tell where they go. Does the reflector, glass, gaskets and trim all go together with the same four screws? it sure looks look it but almost impossible to do.
Could use some help or diagrams.

Dave

Rerun
06-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, it all goes together with those four screws. Particularly with a fresh paint job, it's good to have a second set of hands to hold things in place.

davette59
06-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Yes, it all goes together with those four screws. Particularly with a fresh paint job, it's good to have a second set of hands to hold things in place.

I think I have one reflector to body gasket that is a flat gasket and a gasket with a slit that seems to go around the reflector. Is there a third gasket that goes between the outside rim/frame and the glass? when I bought the gasket set from Studebaker International and none of the gaskets have parts numbers or anything. It's all guesswork as to where they go.

LarkTruck
06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
The gasket with the slit goes around the edge of the glass. and the flat foam gasket gets glued to the backside of the reflector. There are only two gaskets used per light. One word of advise is to put a heavy blanket or foam rubber on the ground under the area you are working, 'cause if you drop that glass...:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, a second set of hands is a good idea too.
Jim

davette59
06-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks, you all have been very helpful as usual. These forums are great when needing help on your restorations. Hope to get the headlights put together tomorrow.

dave

davette59
06-15-2014, 03:04 AM
Still cannot see how headlights and gasket go together. I can see how the flat gasket goes between the reflector and the body but when I put the round gasket with the lengthwise slit in it, it is about 2 inches too long. I put it around the edge of the reflector and it fits perfect though. This cannot be right, because then the glass is then just loose. Could they have sent the wrong gasket?

LarkTruck
06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Dave,
If you have a factory parts catalog there is an illustration on page 60. The gasket with a slit should be a continuous gasket, and when you put it around the outside edge of the glass you will actually have to stretch it a little. It should be a snug fit. It is not a very fat gasket, just a little square cornered C shape. Sounds like they may have sent the wrong one. I will try to dig one up, and post pic latter today. Heading out for breakfast with my family. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY everyone!
Jim

Rerun
06-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Here are pics of the gaskets on my '78. The flat gasket goes between the reflector and the body. The "C" section goes around the glass. There are only these two gaskets. Is it possible that one of the gaskets you got in the kit is for an earlier round glass cover? It is also possible that your gasket is a poor reproduction part from SI (without getting off topic, that wouldn't be the first time that happened). You might want to check with Nostalgic Motor Cars for the gaskets.
35613 35614 35615

davette59
06-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks Jim, Since the gasket seems to fit the edge of the glass but is about 2" too big around,q I think you're right and they have sent the wrong one. The flat one seems correct. I will call SI tomorrow and see what they can do. If that's the only one they have I will call Nostalgic.
Thanks for your help, I was really puzzled.

Dave

davette59
06-20-2014, 06:22 PM
I called SI and they did concur that the headlight gaskets were about 3" too big. I called Myers and they went and measured their gaskets only to find the same thing with theirs. I finally took the ones I had, cut the excess out and glued the ends back together. I didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry on one headlight so I ended up with a gap. I will take that one back apart and re-glue waiting longer this time. A word of advice is to put the seam at the bottom of the headlight so that it is unbroken at the top where water is most likely to get in.

Dave